ISO: ISO recipe for granola. NT

In Search Of:
I absolutely love Ina Gartens. Rec: Homemade Granola & Orange Yogurt...

After watching the episode that she made granola and flavored yogurt I haven't bought a flavored yogurt since. The orange yogurt is wonderful and now I do the same thing with strawberries, peaches or what ever I have. Delicious!

Homemade Granola
Ina Garten
Yield: 12 cups

Ingredients:

4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups sweetened, shredded coconut
2 cups sliced almonds
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup good honey
1 1/2 cups small-diced dried apricots
1 cup small-diced dried figs
1 cup dried cherries
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup roasted, unsalted cashews
Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Toss the oats, coconut, and almonds together in large bowl. Whisk together the oil and honey in a small bowl. Pour the liquids over the oat mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until all the oats and nuts are coated. Pour onto a 13x18-inch baking sheet. Bake, stirring occasionally with a spatula, until the mixture turns a nice, even golden brown, around 45 minutes. Remove the granola from the oven and allow to cool, stirring occasionally. Add the apricots, figs, cherries, cranberries, and cashews. Store the cooled granola in an airtight container.

Orange Yogurt
Yield: 3 cups

Ingredients:
1 quart plain low-fat yogurt
¼ cup raisins
¼ cup chopped walnuts
1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¼ cup good honey
Grated zest of one orange
½ to 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
Optional: Orange, orange zest, raisins or walnuts
Method:
Line a sieve with cheesecloth or paper towels and suspend it over a bowl. Pour the yogurt into the sieve and allow it to drain, refrigerated, for 3 hours or overnight. Place the thickened yogurt into a medium bowl and add the raisins, walnuts, vanilla, honey and orange zest to taste. Thin with orange juice until it is a desired consistency. Garnish with sections of orange, extra orange zest, raisins or walnuts and serve.

Very Crunchy Granola...found this on Molly Katzen's site while looking for lentil pate.

VERY CRUNCHY GRANOLA

From the upcoming "Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Café" (Hyperion 2002)
Yield: 6 cups or more, depending on how many additonal ingredients you choose to add
The very best! So good, my husband actually asked me to make this less often.

Granola should be crunchy. Very crunchy. And here's a recipe that really works! It's very filling, so if you eat this for breakfast, especially with fresh fruit and any kind of milk or yogurt added, you'll be satisfied for hours afterwards!

If you can't find barley flakes, you can sutbsitute wheat flakes or just use all rolled oats.
If you're adding wheat germ, do so right at serving time, directly from the freezer, so the oil won't break down.
Nonstick spray for the baking tray
3 cups rolled oat flakes
1 cup barley flakes
1 cup oat bran
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup chopped almonds
3/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup light honey or maple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup soy protein powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup (packed) brown sugar
1 cup pumpkin seeds (optional, but highly recommended!)
Other possible additions:
1/2 cup sesame seeds
Up to 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
Up to 1 cup other kinds of nuts, chopped
Dried fruit (add after it is baked)
Wheat germ (add after it is baked)
Up to 1 cup roasted soy beans (add after it is baked)

Preheat oven to 325ºF. Spray a 13 X 18-inch baking tray with nonstick spray.

Place the flakes, bran, sunflower seeds, and almonds in a large bowl. (Also look through the list of "other possible additons" and add sesame seeds, coconut, or other nuts, if desired.)

Combine the oil, honey or syrup and vanilla extract, and pour this in. Mix thoroughly. (Use your hands, if necessary.)

Stir in the protein powder and salt, and mix throughly (again, use your hands).

Bake for 40 or 50 minutes, stirring a few times--until golden.

Crumble in sugar as soon as it comes out of the oven. and let it melt in. Cool it on the tray, and add the pumpkin seeds as it cools. NOTE: The granola will get crunchy as it cools!

Store it in a tightly closed jar in the freezer for maximum freshness.

9/21/01
- Friday, September 21, 2001 at 12:42:33 (EDT)

http://www.molliekatzen.com/mkcorner.php

REC: Granola easy and quick!!

We love granola and this is soooo good and what is great is that it is quick and easy. I make this on alot of weekday mornings and the kids spinkle it on yogurt.

QUICK SKILLET GRANOLA

Serve this granola with fruit and yogurt for a delicious breakfast. Or sprinkle it over ice cream to jazz up dessert.
Active time: 10 min Start to finish: 30 min

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 cup old-fashioned oats
Heat butter and honey in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until butter is melted. Stir in sesame seeds and cook, stirring, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add oats and cook, stirring and tossing with 2 wooden spoons, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Spread granola evenly on a large sheet of foil to cool.
Cooks' note:
• Granola keeps in an airtight container at room temperature 1 week.
Makes about 2 cups GourmetJune 2001

Here's one I like, Rec: The Queen’s Oats

The Queen’s Oats...a yummy granola

8 cups regular rolled oats
1-1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar, or a little less (makes a fairly sweet granola)
1-1/2 cups regular wheat germ
1/2 cup sesame, sunflower or other seeds
1/2 cup coconut or nuts, or both, as desired
1/2 cup unprocessed oat or wheat bran (optional, but healthy)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup honey or maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
raisins or chopped dried fruits (optional)

Preheat oven to 325º. In a large bowl add all dry ingredients except raisins or dried fruit, stir to blend. In a saucepan heat oil, honey or maple syrup and vanilla just until bubbling. Pour over dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Divide mixture between two lightly greased 10x15-inch rimmed baking sheets, spreading evenly (OR sometimes I just do it all in a big roasting pan -- easier to stir). Bake about 20 minutes or until coconut is lightly browned. Remove from oven and stir several times as grains cool to prevent sticking. (If you like your granola in chunks, don’t stir while it cools.) When cool, add raisins or other dried fruit. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 16 cups

Notes from hAndyman:
Thanks for the recipe. I've been making it at least once every 2 weeks for a while now (and have only burned it once, thank goodness). I've tried it using maple syrup only once, deciding that it was a waste of good maple syrup (better to drizzle some on for that delicious maple flavor - that goes great on many cereals!). I routinely use 1 cup of brown sugar and half a cup of honey in order to lower calories and sweetness a bit, and add sesame, flax, poppy, pumpkin and millet seeds, (a couple tablespoons each) as well as pecans or almonds, oat or wheat bran, and coconut. I bake it undisturbed (ie without stirring) on Teflon non-stick sheets and break it up so it's chunky (people like to snack on the chunks). Everyone adds their own dried or fresh fruit as they wish, but dried cranberries are the most popular it seems, although I've tried cut up apricots, apples, etc. as well as fresh bananas and strawberries. It's a good recipe, and I haven't bought granola since trying it. I usually make a seed bread at the same time as I use many of the same ingredients in both recipes. I'm glad you posted the recipe, and happy I tried it! Cheers! Andy
2. ... and sunflower seeds too! nt (hAndyman)

Meryl, we made the Alton Brown granola ... yummmmmmmmmmmmm

The only change I made was adding 1 cup dried cranberries and 1 cup raisins per batch. My raisins looked a little too wrinkled, so I plumped them up on the stove top in a little orange juice. Otherwise, I followed the recipe. The house smelled wonderful and it tastes yummy to boot. A batch is going in a care package to Georgia and we're munching on a batch now!

Thanks, Meryl!

Having never made homemade granola before, how is it supposed to be stored and how long will it keep

Unfortunately, I do not have a vacuum sealer. I have it in tupperware in the fridge and froze some in tupperware. Any tips? Alton Brown's recipe didn't really say ... so I assumed room temp was ok -- but figured it would last longer in the fridge.

Mia, I use a large glass jar that seals well. I have humidity issues to contend with...

...that's why I like to vacuum-seal it in 2-cup portion bags. Pat's recipe makes a lot...12 cups I think. Mine kept for 6 months or so.

Sealed in bags, it makes a nice little hostess gift as well. If you make a lot, you could put some in those cellophane cookie bags.

Cranberry Almond Granola - Our Tried & True

Cranberry-Almond Granola

This crunchy, not-too-sweet granola makes a terrific breakfast served with nonfat milk, or a delicious snack on its own. I at least double and often triple the recipe to even make a decent sized batch. Everyone who tastes thsi requests the recipe. I make it for hostess gifts, teacher gifts, etc..

Nonstick vegetable oil spray
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/3 cup pecan halves
1/3 cup frozen concentrated cranberry juice cocktail, thawed
1/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray heavy large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray. Combine oats, almonds, coconut, and pecans in large bowl. Combine cranberry juice concentrate, brown sugar, oil, cinnamon, and allspice in medium saucepan. Bring to boil, whisking until sugar dissolves. Pour hot syrup over oat mixture; stir to coat evenly. Spread mixture out on prepared sheet. Bake until golden brown at edges, about 20 minutes. Add cranberries; using metal spatula, stir to blend. Bake until granola is golden and beginning to dry, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes longer. Cool completely on baking sheet. (Store airtight at room temperature up to 1 week.)
Makes about 4 cups.

Bon Appetit 2003

Did you refrigerate? I assume it can be left out room temp, if properly sealed

-- in a tight fitting jar. Storing the granola wasn't the problem -- we snarfed down a double batch of granola in less than a week!

Back