ISO: ISO recipe for moist muffins that can be made three days ahead....

In Search Of:

evan

My BFF’s birthday is coming up this weekend. She asked me if I could bring muffins! Problem is, I have to bake them tomorrow (the birthday is in Saturday). Does any of you have a recipe to recommend?

*crossing my fingers*

Isn't that just one day--tomorrow is Friday and birthday is Saturday?

Just wanted to check.
Overnight might be ok for muffins if they have a good bit of oil/shortening.

Also, you could make the 6 week bran muffin recipe, add blueberries and cook early on the day? They just sit in the fridge until the day you want to bake.

Sorry I didn't see yr request sooner. U can freeze muffins! Try Brandied Applesauce Raisin Muffins

Brandied Applesauce Raisin Muffins
(page 277 of BETTY ROSBOTTOM'S COOKING SCHOOL COOKBOOK)

1 cup raisins
1/3 cup brandy
8 Tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup sweetened applesauce
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 large apple (Granny Smith or Winesap), unpeeled, coarsely grated

1) Generously butter eighteen muffin cups (I line muffin pans with aluminum foil cupcake "papers" and end up with 20 muffins.)

2) Place the raisins in a small bowl. Heat the brandy until hot but not boiling and pour it over the raisins. Let the raisins soak in the brandy 15 to 20 minutes. (If you wish, you can soak them overnight for a stronger taste.) Note from Caryn: I usually soak the raisins overnight, stirring whenever I think of it, and I don't think the flavor is too strong at all.

3) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

4) Place the butter and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in the applesauce. Then stir in the egg, and set aside.

5) Combien the flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon in bowl and mix well. Whisk the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, and stir just until blended. Add the raisins plus any soaking liquid, the walnuts, and the grated apple. Mix only a few seconds; the mixture will be lumpy.

6) Fill the muffin cups two-thirds full with batter, and place them on the center shelf of the oven. Bake until golden and firm, 20 minutes. Remove the muffins from the oven and unmold. Serve hot with butter or softened cream cheese. The muffins are best served hot from the oven. However, they can be baked, covered, and kept at room temperature; reheat, wrapped in foil, in a preheated 350-degree F. oven for 5 to 10 minutes.

To freeze the muffins, wrap them tightly in foil; reheat, straight from the freezer and still wrapped in foil, in a preheated 350-degree F. oven for 15 to 20 minutes or longer.

Makes 18 muffins per Betty, but I usually end up with 20.

(These freeze beautifully--I wrap the cooled muffins in foil and then slide them into Ziplock bag(s) before freezing. Enjoy! Caryn)

Or try these Apple Streusel Muffins

Apple Streusel Muffins (18 regular-sized muffins from MUFFINS by Elizabeth Alston, pages 28-29.)

The delicious crumb topping makes these muffins taste like miniature coffee cakes. Good at tea time and also for breakfast or brunch. Cool at least 1 hour before serving.

TOPPING
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

BATTER
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1 cup diced unpeeled apple, preferably a tart apple such as Granny Smith or Greenings

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease muffin cups or use foil baking cups to line muffin cups. Put streusel topping ingredients into a medium-size bowl. Mix with a fork, then crumble with fingers until mixture looks like chopped walnuts. (I pulse the streusel ingredients in my Cuisinart.)

To make the muffin batter, thoroughly mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Break eggs into another bowl. Add sour cream and melted butter to eggs, and whisk until well blended. Stir in diced apple. Pour egg mixture over flour mixture and fold in just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Scoop batter into muffin cups. Top each muffin with about 2 teaspoons of the streusel topping. Bake 20 to 25 minutes (takes only about 18 minutes in my oven), or until muffins are browned. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean. Remove oven and remove from pans and let cool at least 1 hour before serving.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Another moist and delicious muffin recipe--Pumpkin Muffins with Pecan Streusel

Pumpkin Muffins with Pecan Streusel
By Jennifer Segal

With warm spices and a crunchy pecan streusel, these
pumpkin muffins are the quintessential fall breakfast treat.

Servings: 12 large muffins (see note)

Total Time: 45 Minutes

Ingredients

For the Topping
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
5 tablespoons demerara sugar (also called raw cane sugar or turbinado)
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

For the Muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1-1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 (15-ounce) can 100% pure pumpkin (I use Libby’s)

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a standard muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Begin with the topping: Combine the flour, butter, demerara sugar, chopped pecans and cinnamon in a small bowl. The mixture will be quite wet. Set aside.
Move on to the muffins: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.

Move on to the muffins: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar at low speed until just blended. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; continue beating until very light and fluffy, a few minutes. Add the pumpkin and beat until combined, scraping down the sides of bowl as necessary. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined.

Using an ice cream scoop or two spoons, transfer the batter to the prepared muffin pan, filling each cup completely full. Using your fingers, divide the topping evenly over the batter. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto rack to cool completely.

Note: This recipe makes 12 large muffins. For smaller muffins, divide the batter into 18 muffin cups and bake for 30 minutes or until done.

Freezer-Friendly Instructions: The muffins can be frozen in an airtight container or sealable plastic bag for up to 3 months. Thaw for 3 – 4 hours on the countertop before serving. To reheat, wrap individual muffins in aluminum foil and place in a preheated 350°F oven until warm.

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/pumpkin-pecan-crunch-muffins.html

Back