ISO: ISO recipes from the Black Forest region of Germany (not dessert)

In Search Of:

luisa_calif

Hosting a gourmet club dinner in early March. The theme is Black Forest region of Germany and we have the Main Course. Any suggestions are welcome. Is rabbit appropriate?

hi luisa. hasenpfeffer hops immediately to mind... (REC)

although it's not specifically black forest, it's common throughout Germany.

Fortuitously some (despicacable) person copied the recipe from my time-life "the cooking of germany" and sumitted it (uncredited!!) to recipecottace. here it is along with a few things and correction of some misspelling that the worm either forgot or edited out.

HASENPFEFFER
Braised Rabbit in Spiced Red Wine Sauce
serves 6

1/2 lb bacon, finely chopped
5-6 lb rabbit (or 2-1/2 to 3 pound rabbits) cut in serving pieces
1/2 t salt
1/2 t freshly ground blackpepper
1/2 C flour
1/2 C minced shallots
1 t minced garlic
1 C dry red wine
1 C chicken stock
2 T brandy
1 t currant jelly
1 bay leaf
1/4 t dried rosemary
1/2 t dried thyme
2 t fresh lemon juice

In a heavy 5-qt flameproof casserole dish, cook the bacon over moderate heat, stirring and turning it frequently, until it is crisp. Spread the bacon out on a double thickness of paper towels to drain and set the casserole with the bacon fat inside.

Wash the rabbit quickly under cold running water and pat it thoroughly dry with paper towels. sprinkle the pieces with salt and pepper, then dip them in flour and shake off any excess. Heat the bacon fat in the casserole over high heat until it splutters. Add the rabbbit, a few pieces at a time, and brown them on all sides,
regulating the heat so that they color quickly and evenly without burning. As they are done, transfer the rabbit pieces to a plate. Pour off all but 2 talespoons of fat from the casserole and in it cook the shallots and garlic, stirring frquently, for 3 or5 mins, or until the shallots are soft and transparent but not brown. Pour in the wine and stock, and bring to a boil over high heat, meanwhile scraping in any brown bits clinging to the bottom and sides of the pan., Stir in the brandy, currant jelly, bay leaf, rosemary and thyme, and return the rabbit and any juices collected around it to the casserole, Add the drained bacon, cover the casserole tightly, and simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 hrs, or until the rabbit is tender but not falling apart (smaller rabbits may cook faster, so test for tenderness after 1 hr cooking). Pick out the bay leaf, stir in the lemon juice and taste for seasoning. the sauce should be quite peppery; add more pepper, if necessary, to taste.

Serve the rabbit directly from the casserole, or arrange the pieces attractively on a heated platter and pour the sauce over.

NOTE: Traditionally, the sauce in which the rabbit is simmered is thickened, just before serving, with the rabbit's blood. If you
hunt and dress your own rabbit, save the blood. Stir into it 1 or 2 tlbs of vinegar to prevent it from clotting and refrigerate until ready to use. Stir the blood into the sauce after the rabbit is cooked, then simmer gently, stirring all the while, for 4 or 5 minutes, or until the sauce thickens slightly, Be careful not to let the sauce boil. Taste for seasoning and serve.

Some info and recipes: "Rabbit in Riesling Sauce" and "Chicken in Riesling"

The German state the Black Forest is in is called Baden-Württemberg. So any recipe with the word "Badisch" (Baden) would be from this area. Since Baden and the Black Forest are just over the Rhein from France, there is a large French influence on the cuisine of this area. Think Alsatian, riesling, sauerkraut, and cream.

Rabbit would be appropriate for a Black Forest main dish. Here's a simple Baden recipe:

Cut the rabbit into pieces and brown in a skillet with oil

When pieces are brown, remove from the skillet and paint with dijon mustard, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and layer in a baking dish.

Saute 2 onions and 3 carrots in the skillet to lightly brown. Add 3-4 minced cloves of garlic a few minutes before removing. Add to the rabbit.

Stir together 3 cups sour cream and 3 cups rieseling wine to the skillet to deglaze and bring to just below a simmer. Stir in tarragon to taste. Pour the sauce over the rabbit and bake for 45 minutes in a 350F oven.

Another typical recipe is a Germanic version of Coq au Vin: Hahn in Riesling.

In a large dutchoven or stockpot to hold two chickens, brown chicken pieces in a mixture of butter and olive oil. Remove to a platter and keep warm covered with foil.

Add to the pan several dozen pearl onions and a pound of mushroom slices. Saute to brown lightly.

Return chicken to pan, salt and pepper to taste, and add 1/2 bottle of Baden, Mosel, or Alsatian dry riesling and a bunch of parlsey. Cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the chicken is tender.

Remove the chicken, mushrooms, and onions to a heated platter, cover with foil to keep warm (or place in warm oven to hold).

Strain the broth, discard the parsley, return the strained broth the pan.

Stir 4 egg yolks into 1 cup of sour cream. Stir a little of the hot broth into the cream to temper it, then quickly whisk the cream into the broth. Continue stirring over low heat until sauce thickens and steams, but do not bring to a boil!

Add a squeeze of freshly squeezed lemon juice, a tablespoon of cognac, and a tsp of dried tarragon, stir to combine.

Serve the chicken napped with a little of the sauce, and pass the rest of the sauce separately.

Guten Appetite!

Wow, Richard, this sounds like a little bit of heaven served over spaetzle!!! NT

great theme....some menu ideas......

Hi Luisa!
We just returned from "Schwarzwald" and enjoyed some terrific meals!
We had a truly memorable evening of food and lodging at the hotel "Oberkirchs Weinstuben" in Freiburg.

This is what they served for appetizers:
snail soup
potato soup
goulash soup
smoked trout

main course:
wild hare
roasted venison
duck
veal snitzel

An interesting variation for dessert, which was a black forest parfait w/ cherries, vanilla ice cream and cherry liqueur.

appertif of white cherry schnapps

Have a great time at your party smileys/wink.gif

Hi Moyn! NFRC...

Just wanted to tell you about our upcoming trip, we're going off to spend May in Europe. I'll be spending my birthday on Lake Constance. Sigh. There will be four of us landing in Paris and we're driving off to Reims, then on to Bernkastel (have you been? I love that little town), then off to spend some days being hedonists in Baden-Baden before we drive through the Schwarzwald to Lake Constance for more recreating. Then back to France and the Alsace on our way back to Paris where we're staying at a delightful B&B on the Ile Saint Louis for a week! What fun!

THANKS everybody! I knew I could could on you all. How many bunnies

should I buy for 8 people? I'm thinking two?

from the wording of the recipe, i'd assume so...

if you want a thicker sauce, you could use a roux or some flour/water paste.

several recipes for hasenpfeffer that i checked out added some sour cream to the sauce at the end. i do that with my saurbraten.

richard in cincy would be the person to check for its authenticity.

Hey Richard...NFRC....

Your trip to Lake Constance sounds just great! We were there over Christmas and enjoyed it, but, it was cold!!!! The lake was beautiful, but all the lovely outdoor cafes were closed and our walk down by the water was so windy that we could just about make it to the next pub! The Schwarzwald was so pretty in the winter...the pine trees are so tall, dark and dense ... covered with snow it looked like a picture out of a storybook. The road twisted and turned through the forest and I couldn't help but think of Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf living in there somewhere!
May will be a nice time of year to travel --it will be beautiful in the spring!
Have a fantastic trip!!
Joyce

Weihnachten im Schwarzwald! Zauberhaft!

That must have been so wonderful. I've yet to spend a Christmas in Germany or Austria, although we talk a lot about it! My ultimate would be Christmas in Munich, the week between Christmas and New Year's in the Salzkammergut or Berchtesgaden, and then New Year's in Vienna. We're staying 5 days around the Bodensee, we're going to drive all the way around and just go exploring, particularly in the Vorarlberg Alps and Lindau. If you have any can't miss spots in the Schwarzwald to suggest, please let me know. This is one area I haven't spent much time and I'm really looking forward to it! Did you visit Sigmaringen or Burg Hohenzollern when you were in the area? They both look magnificent. We're planning to take a spin past both while we're out and about, probably on the drive from Baden-Baden to Meersburg (where we're planning to camp on the Bodensee).

Back