ISO: ISO recipes using pork picnic shoulder OTHER than Gretchen's pulled pork (I have that one). NT

In Search Of:
Honig und Senf Schweinsbraten (German Honey Mustard Pork Roast)

3-4 pound pork shoulder roast
4 oz. honey
1-2 tbls. dijon or düsseldorf mustard
1/2 tsp. ground caraway seed
2 oz. butter, room temp
salt and pepper
1 oz. oil
jigger of cognac
2 cups stock (veal or beef and chicken)
1 cup double cream
1 tbls. fresh lemon juice
fresh thyme

Heat the oven to 200F.

Stir together the honey, mustard, caraway, and butter.

Brown the roast using the oil using high heat in a skillet.

Remove roast to a roasting pan. Deglaze skillet with cognac and add to honey mixture.

Glaze the roast with the honey glaze, salt and pepper to taste, and put in the oven.

Roast for 5-6 hours, basting every hour, until deeply brown and succulent.

Strain the pan juices and combine with the broth. Bring to a simmer and reduce by half.
Stir in the double cream and heat until steaming but not boiling, and well combined. Season to taste with salt, pepper, lemon juice, and thyme leaves stripped from the stem.

Slice and arrange the slices down a warmed platter, pour a small trail of the sauce down the center, garnish with more thyme and or parsley. Pass the remaining sauce on the side.

And of course you would serve this with some kind of Knödel (dumpling) and a nice German Lager.

REC: Twelve-Hour Pork Roast - yummy!

Similar to Gretchen's Pulled Pork, but different seasonings that are also fantastic! I found that the extra time in this recipe guarantees that pull-apart texture that I didn't get with Gretchen's the first go-round. When I reheated leftovers (with Gretchen's), the roast finally got the cooking it needed to fall apart. Both recipes are fantastic!

Enjoy!
Debbie in GA

* Exported from MasterCook *

Twelve-Hour Roast Pork

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Lamb, Ham, Pork, & Veal

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

1 pork shoulder with skin (see note) -- 7-9 pounds
12 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
3 tablespoons fennel seeds
8 small dried red chiles -- crumbled (I used 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes)
salt and pepper -- to taste
Juice of 6 lemons
1/4 cup olive oil
Pan Drippings:
14 ounces canned chicken broth
Juice of 2 lemons

Preheat oven to 450F.

Score the pork shoulder all over by slicing deeply into the skin, making cuts 1/4 inch apart.

In a food processor or by hand, chop the garlic, fennel seeds, chiles and salt and pepper until coarsely ground. Rub this mixture all over the pork and into the cuts.

Place the pork on a rack in a roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes, or until the skin begins to crackle and brown. Loosen the shoulder from the bottom of the pan and pour half the lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over the pork.

Reduce the oven temperature to 250F and roast the pork for 12 hours more, basting occasionally with the remaining lemon juice and the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, until it's completely soft under the skin. Push it with your finger; it should give and may even fall off the bone.

For the Pan Drippings: Remove the roast from the pan and spoon off all but 3 tablespoons of the fat from the drippings. Place the pan on the stovetop over medium heat and scrape up all the browned bits stuck to the bottom. When the juices are hot, add the broth and lemon juice (but taste the drippings first; you may not need more lemon), continuing to scrape the pan and reduce the juices for about 5 minutes, or until you have a sauce consistency.

Serve each person a little of the crisp skin along with the meat and pass the pan of drippings separately.

Description:
"Wow."
Source:
"Suzanne Somers' Get Skinny on Fabulous Food via The Best American Recipes 2000"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : You'll most likely need to order the pork shoulder (butt) ahead of time. Unless you have an Italian, Chinese, or Mexican butcher, th eidea of a pork shoulder with skin on may draw a complete blank. If you're offered a picnic ham with skin--that is, the forearm--just say no; that meat is sinewy and won't have the same lusciousness as the shoulder. There are two other options: the butcher can take the skin off a fresh ham and wrap it around the butt, or you can just forget about the skin and simply wrap the meat in oiled foil once the initial browning takes place. Don't worry about the basting in that case; just skip it. The meat will brown under the foil, and it will be moist and delicious.

Almost surely you'll have leftovers, which are great for sandwiches, to fold into hot tortillas with some salsa, or to cook with hash browns. -- The Best American Recipes 2000

Debbie's notes: The roast gave up a lot of liquid), and because my roast had only a small layer of fat that did not cover the entire area of meat, I covered pan with greased foil as suggested. Since the roast went into the oven and midnight, it did NOT get basted at all and it still was absolutely delicious!

I would be careful with salt--I forgot to put any in the food processor and still found the drippings to be very salty from the chicken broth. Any more salt might have ruined it. I also used Minor's dry roux to make a gravy that was wonderful.

Served the roast with mashed potatoes, corn, and cranberry relish. Second helpings had by all! Tart Cherry Clafouti for dessert.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

I posted this a month ago. Rosemary braised pork shoulder...

this is known as "my" pork roast among my friends. So easy, again.

Posted at 6:42 pm on Jan 4, 2006

It is from Lydie Marshall and her Provence recipes.

Remove some of the fat from the meat if you can. Not all of it.

Pepper and spread over it, 2-3 T. Dijon mustard. Brown in 2 T. olive oil but do not burn the mustard.

Remove from the pan and in the same pot place 2 halved garlic cloves and 2 rosemary sprigs. Place the meat on top. Then over the top of the meat, place 2-3 garlic cloves and 2 sprigs of rosemary.

'Braise' (the meat will create lots of juice) on top of the stove over simmer for about 2 hours.

You can turn it once but this really looks after itself.

My note: for the rosemary use 4 single branches about 4" long. It is possible to over-rosemary this meat.

Well, I've never been a crock potter but I suspect that you would just have to use a separate

pan to brown the meat and scrape off the pan, into the crock. There wouldn't be much of a loss though as there is always the danger of burning the mustard in the first pan and that residue is better left behind. I honestly don't think this is a recipe that needs the pan drippings. The flavour comes from the juice of the pork, the rosemary and the garlic.

You're right though, a crock pot works so well down there. A friend gave me one, I never used it, and it was later under 5 feet of 'water' in my garage, (along with our car of course) thanks to Ivan. So I carry on, without the experience.

Rec: Forever Roasted Pork

Forever Roasted Pork
This is called "Forever Roasted Pork" because it takes (almost) forever to roast — about eight hours. The meat is well seasoned and cooked in a slow oven until it is so tender it shreds. Once it's done, I challenge you not to stand at the kitchen counter and pick. smileys/wink.gif It takes forever but it can cook unattended. It's stuffed with sage-seasoned onions, seasoned liberally with Fennel Spice, and tied up with string before roasting.

2 medium onion, peeled
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
1/2 cup water
4 pounds pork leg or shoulder, at room temperature
About 1/4 cup Fennel Spice

Thinly slice the onions on a mandloine or with a sharp chef's knife. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat until hot. Add the onions and a pinch of salt and pepper. Reduce the to medium-low and cook for about 1 minute. Add the sage and cook until the onions cease throwing off water, about 3 minutes. Add the water, cover, and cook until the onions are very tender, about 10 minutes. Uncover and sauté until the onions are very soft and the pan is dry again, about 2 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper.

Preheat the oven to 275°F. Peel back the pork skin and spread the onions directly on the fat layer. Fold the skin back over the onions and tie closed with kitchen string. Season well all over with the fennel spice. Arrange the meat on a rack in a roasting pan and cook until the meat is very tender, 6 to 8 hours. It is ready when it pulls away easily if picked at a pair of tongs. It is often easiest to cook the meat overnight, or put it in the oven in the morning and let it cook all day. It does not need to be attended.

Variations: This dish can be simplified or made more elaborate depending on your taste. You can omit the onions and simply season the meat with fennel spice. You can roast aromatic vegetables until caramelized and add them to the bottom of the roasting pan. Or you can add another layer of flavor to the onions: mince fresh rosemary and fruits such as oranges, kumquats, Meyer lemons, apples, pears, or quince, and cook with the onions, or make a paste of garlic and fresh or dried chilies and add to the onions.

(Serves 6 to smileys/bigeyes.gif

Back