ISO: ISO: Richard in Cincy (m)

In Search Of:

misplaced-in-az

When I was a young girl, my mother made Lentil soup and she would make potato dumplings to go with it. I know she used to drop them into the soup when it was nearly done. Do you have a recipe for this dumpling? Also, are you familiar with the site www.kitchenproject.com/German Goodies? I believe it is a gentleman named Steven Brock that has this. He also has a cookbook of his grandmothers german recipes. It looks very interesting and the recipes look like they would be very nice. Haven't tried any as yet.

I found a Potato Dumpling recipe in my German cookbook, Misplaced.....REC:

Don't see why you couldn't drop these into Lentil Soup to cook them, do you? The recipe has filling (at bottom) but I think you could make just the dumpling part.

Recipe by Mrs Herman Lehde from Trinity Lutheran Centennial Cookbook -1874 - 1974 - Friestatt, Mo

Potato Dumplings

4 cooked potatoes (reserve boiling water)
4 raw potatoes
2 c flour
1 tbs salt

Grate potatoes and mix well with flour and salt. Make into balls. Simmer 1 hour in boiling salted water including potato water. Vegetables may be served with the dumplings, cooking them in the same water. Serve with melted butter.

Here is the meat filling which I will add here.
Filling:
1/2 lb ground round
1/2 lb lean salt pork
1 sm onion, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp allspice
Brown salt pork, ground beef and onion. Add seasonings and mix well. Make a small ball with potato mixture and make hole in center of ball, filling with some of the meat mixture. Close hole. Use all dough. Continue with cooking instructions, above.

easy potatoe dumplings

this is the short cut way I use to make them:
1 cup potatoe flakes
1 cup boiling water
1tbsp oil
1 cup flour
1 egg
salt

In a bowl mix potatoe flakes with boiling water to make a stiff dough. Let cool. Add oil, salt and egg, mix well. Add flour, stirring it in, with hand knead until it cleans the sides of the bowl. You may need a little more flour. Pull off small pieces of dough and shape into balls the size of walnuts (unshelled). Place on a flour covered dish until all done.

Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil, drop dumplings in, shake pot to release dumplings (dumplings stick to the bottom), and simmer for 12 to 14 minutes.

hi fruffy. this sounds like what i do. a trick i learned from my mother...

is to wrap the dough for each dumpling around a crouton (or just cut a piece of toast cut into 1/2-inch squares. it makes the dumplings lighter.

and welcome to mimi's most wonderful forum.

not a recipe, but here's what I would do.

My grandmother did this too. She took her left over mashed potatoes, stirred in a beaten egg or two (depending on how much she had), then stirred a couple spoonfuls of flour to make a very soft dough. You can't do this with cold mashed potatoes, so warm them up a bit before starting so they are stirrable. If they're too stiff, stir in a little milk. You can add a dash of nutmeg to the batter as well. Just drop them in by spoonfuls, cover, and let steam for about 15 minutes.

I would not use a potato dumpling recipe with the grated raw potato, as it would take too long to cook, and would require a water bath to have enough liquid to cook properly.

Great idea! I have had lots of success lately with leftover rice, doing the same mixture but

adding spices such as cumin, coriander, parsley, onions...then frying patties.

It would be helpful to have more ideas for using leftovers as some of them become so good that they become the intended recipe. I now make a pile of rice each time just to have lots left over.

Thank you all for your ideas. I think I will try it with the mashed (m)

potato and then I will try it the way I sort of remember the way my mom made them. I will let you know which one comes out they way I remember.
As a matter of fact, the more I think about it, Mothers' dumplings were on the heavy side, rather than light and fluffy.

Back