ISO: ISO Richard- tell me about düsseldorf mustard

In Search Of:

CathyZ

What is it similar to that I can get here? Is it grainy or smooth? Is it yellow? Brown? Sharp or mellow? I want to make your pork roast recipe and am not a huge fan of mustards so I don't have much around except Grey Poupon.

Well, actually...

no, it did not. When I specify Düsseldorf mustard in a recipe I give a substitue of Dijon. They are very similar with the Düsseldorf being a little more sweet and sour in flavor. You could also substitute the brown "ballpark" style mustard with good effect.

Okay. I know you mentioned Dijon in your post but I wanted to know

what the real flavor and texture is that is called for. Thank you. I might concoct something closer to it than Dijon.

Thanks for your input too, Gretchen.

Cathy, that's about all...

the info I know on it. I'm sure there are some different spices in it (maybe some allspice and white pepper???). I've never seen a recipe for mustard in any of the German cookbooks I have. There are just some things the Germans know they can buy at high quality for a good price, so why bother making it? LOL (same with bread, there are no bread recipes in any of my german language cookbooks).

It's a very robust taste, but the looks and texture are very nearly identical to dijon, just sweeter and spicier, but not overly so.

But this should not be confused with sweet (southern) style mustard which is really really sweet.

And which reminds me of all the lunches I ate at the Wurst stand near the hall where my orchestra rehearsed...after ordering the sausage, the stout sausage lady in her comfortable shoes (read: combat boots) would trill the lilting refrain..."Sharf oder Süsssssssssssss?" to inquire which mustard I wanted (Spicy or sweet). I always chose sharf ; )

So if 'sharf' means 'spicy' and 'berger' means 'person from a castle', then...

...then that famous gourmet chocolate company is really called 'Spicy Person From A Castle'?

My head hurts.

Michael

interesting Michael.......a "berg"...means 'mountain......and a "burger"......

means a citizen, with a 'burg' being city or town......all of course being Dutch not German (Duetsch)(sp?) Yes, My head hurts...Lol!
What chocolate co. are you refering to?

Don't know if this represents Düsseldorf or another city :eek:) REC: Spiced German Mustard

I haven't tried this but it should give you an idea of the flavours involved...

Spiced German Mustard
from Company’s Coming Christmas Gifts

"A medium hot mustard that’s perfect for bratwurst. Add heat by simmering longer to further reduce the volume and condense the flavour. Makes a great hostess gift."

½ c cold water
1/3 c yellow mustard seed
¼ c dry mustard
1 c apple cider vinegar
½ c finely chopped onion
2 T brown sugar, packed
2 cloves garlic, minced (or ½ tsp garlic powder)
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp allspice
¼ tsp dill weed (optional)
¼ tsp dried tarragon leaves
1/8 tsp turmeric
1 T liquid honey (or less, to taste)

Combine cold water, mustard seed and dry mustard in medium bowl. Cover. Let stand for about 3 hours until mixture thickens to a paste.

Combine next 10 ingredients in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium-high and immediately reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often, until reduced by half. Add to mustard mixture and stir.

Transfer to blender or food processor. Pulse with on/off motion until mustard is slightly thickened but grains are still visible. Pour into small heavy saucepan or top of double boiler. Heat on medium low or over simmering water for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Remove from heat.

Add honey and stir well. Cool and transfer to a small bowl; cover. Chill for 3 days.

Spoon into sterile jar with tight fitting lid. Store in refrigerator for up to 2 years.

Makes about 1 cup.

Maybe in Europe it may mean castle, perhaps the castles are built high ...... up a mountain. but in.

Dutch and Afrikaans 'berg' means mountain as in Tafelberg = Table Mountain....in Cape Town.
In Natal the folk love going to their holiday places in the 'berg = Drakensberg i.e. Dragon Mountain.
I'll look out for the chocolate, can't say I seen it or eaten it. I'm sure it is on our shelves. I just kind of skirt those isles these days 'cept when I NEED some chocies for a dish!

At the risk...

of sounding really pedantic, LOL...

Joanie is of course right about the berg and burg. Burg can also be a castle or fortress in German and burger is from that--the riffraff that used to hang around a castle to do the menial labor were Bürgers, but that eventually evolved to mean a middle class citizen of a town or an American fast food sandwich.

Americans tend to confuse those two words because they tend to treat them as homonyms (but they are pronounced distinctively different in German--think of AIR when you say "berg" and OR when you say "burg" (and the g in this usage is a "k" sound in German, and the R is placed high in the upper front palate instead of in the back of the throat as in American English, but I digress...).

Your translation for Scharffenberger would actually be "one from the high Alps" or some such jaggedness since scharf has several dozen meanings in German (fine, sharp, tapered, pointed, caustic, shrill, etc.)

That is if Scharffen really meant scharf. But I'm not sure that it does since I've never seen the noun stem "scharf" do anything but stay the same when it used to creat the ubiquitous German compound word (Scharfmacher, Scharfschütze, etc.).

When it's treated as an adjective, it adds an umlaut to the a and -en at the end, but still doesn't add another f. (Schärfentiefe)

Since it is an American company name, I can only imagine that it meant something totally different in a dialect, it's simply been altered through the years, or a combination of both. But I'm thinking it was probably altered on this side of the pond since the double ff in this instance has no purpose (i.e., it wouldn't change the pron. and usually every letter is pronounced in a German word--but of course there are exceptions).

I'll ask my German teacher when I see her, but I think that's probably what she'll say. Anyway, I'm sure that's more than you ever wanted to know about German grammar. LOL

THe company name comes from the last name of the founder, John Scharffenberger. When John joined

forces with Robert Steinberg, they named the company Scharffen Berger, incorporating both names.

Which adds another twist to the quest for the derivation of the name.....

Back