ISO: ISO: RuthSF, re: Divinity/Seafoam candies

In Search Of:

gayle-mo

Our local newspaper had an interesting article that reminds me of our thread back in Dec. Re:Divinity/Seafoam. Just saw this today!

Gayle

Divinity brings back memories of Christmas as a child

Every couple of holiday seasons I get adventurous and become the kitchen candy master.

This year, the mood strikes again. One of my favorite holiday treats is divinity, a tasty concoction of hardened sugar syrup, egg whites and other items such as fruits and nuts.

It was a staple at my house during the holiday season. My mom colored hers in pastel pinks and greens and sometimes white. They were always chock-full of walnuts.

You don't see divinity as much as you used to. Once in awhile I see it at the local market, but when I try it the consistency never matches that of homemade.

Divinity is the classic retro candy with its cool colors and free-form shape.

It is reminiscent of days gone by, when people had time to make candy at home.

Food historians generally agree that divinity, which also is known as divinity fudge and its close cousin seafoam (made from dark corn syrup or brown sugar) is an early 20th century American invention.

While similar candies made from hardened syrups and other ingredients like butter and even meringues can be traced back to the 17th century in Europe, what sets divinity apart is the use of old-fashioned corn syrup as a key ingredient in the recipe. Karo corn syrup which, debuted in the early 1900s, included divinity recipes in its early brochures.

The earliest recipe for divinity was printed in The Concord Cookbook in 1915. The heyday for divinity was in the '30s, '40s and '50s when it appeared in some form in most holiday cookbooks.

No one seems to know where the name divinity actually came from. Maybe it was an exclamation uttered by a taste tester or just someone with a good ear for marketing.

The first recipe does not use a candy thermometer, but the second does. The thermometer can be purchased at several places including Wal-Mart or Fellers Fixtures.

Be careful when working with sugars and homemade candy because the ingredients reach high temperatures and can cause severe burns. Pay close attention while working with the mixtures and thermometers.

With all the hustle and bustle during the holidays, you may ask: does it make sense to take the time to make homemade divinity?

Yes, it does.

It may take a little more time, but I think the results are worth it.

Divinity is a holiday candy worthy having a batch of this season.

Let's get cooking.

MRS. EARNEST'S NEVER-FAIL DIVINITY (CIRCA 1920)

MAKES 1/2 TO 3/4 POUND

1/3 cup water

1 1/3 cups white sugar

1/3 cup white Karo syrup

1 egg white, stiffly beaten

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup chopped nuts, coconut, or candied cherries

wax paper

powdered sugar, if needed.

Cook together the water, sugar and Karo syrup until it spins a thread. (Some old candy thermometers have a marking for "Thread" at around 230 degrees.)

The "thread" is a thin, wispy filament that appears when you dip a spoonful of the mixture out of the pan.

Pour half the syrup over the stiffly beaten egg whites, beating all the time. Cook the remaining syrup to the "crack" stage (300 degrees) when tested in cold water.

Continue beating the first mixture while pouring the rest of the syrup into it. When it begins to hold its shape, add vanilla and nuts, coconut or cherries. Continue beating until it holds its shape well. If it should not hold its shape as desired, add a tablespoon of sifted powdered sugar, or 2 tablespoons, if needed.

Drop from teaspoon onto waxed paper. Store in airtight box when it cools.

Ada Hornsby, a home economics teacher at East Tennessee State College, used green and red cherries at Christmastime. When she used nuts, it was usually pecans or black walnuts.

OLD TIME SEAFOAM

MAKES 1 1/2 POUNDS OF CANDY

1/2 cup dark corn syrup

2 1/2 cups light brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup water

2 egg whites

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup coarsely chopped nuts

In saucepan mix corn syrup, sugar, salt and water. Cook, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.

Continue cooking, without stirring, until 248 degrees registers on candy thermometer or a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a firm ball (this means it is firm when in the water but flattens when removed from water).

Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.

Pour about half of the syrup over the egg whites slowly, beating constantly.

Cook remainder until 272 degrees registers on candy thermometer, or until a small amount of the mixture when dropped in very cold water forms hard but not brittle threads.

Add slowly to the first mixture and beat until mixture holds its shape. Add vanilla and nuts, and drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper to form small candies.

Chef Lou Rice is division chairman of hospitality and culinary studies at Ozarks Technical Community College. Contact him at ricel@otc.edu or mail letters to OTC, Attn: Chef Lou Rice, 1001 E. Chestnut Expressway, Springfield, MO, 65802. Put "Questions for Chef Lou" in the subject line of your e-mail or on the envelope.http://www.springfieldnews-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051207/COLUMNISTS19/512070336

(((Thank you GayleMO!)))

I appreciate you posting that addition! I've done some experimenting but consistently soggy weather (rain or fog), or a busy schedule, has kept me from trying as many recipes as I'd like. I'm hoping to get through them all soon and come up with some new flavors besides.

Thanks again...

Back