ISO: ISO small plate appetizers you just pick up vs dip/spread etc

In Search Of:

mariadnoca

This is for a bridal shower and the main food will be catered. Based on the last bridal shower, we are talking everything needs to be Pinterest pretty worthy. I looked through t&t, and pretty much everything is a dip, spread or what have you. Here, we are looking to have everything plated on trays and guests pick up individual serving for themselves.

Anyone one have a party worthy delicious recipe that fits this parameter?

Thanks!

One appetizer I loved at a bridal reception (guests mingled outside the museum while not-quite-yet newlyweds were taking photos) was a 4 oz shot glass filled with tomato soup and a finger of grilled cheese sandwich laid across the top. The soup was hot, the sandwich was not, but the cheese was already melted.

Silver Palate tomato soup would be my choice. It could be brought in a thermos ready to pour into serving glasses.

Here are some online images
1664133792760.png
1664133837000.png
1664133935122.png

Last edited:
I love this idea! I was thinking some “shooters” of soup would be nice, but I’ve asked, and haven’t yet received info on what the main dish is. The date is Oct 15th, so this will go good for fall (if we get fall weather this year).:

keep the ideas coming, I’m supposed to make a whole assortment of appetizers for this shindig. 😁

Last edited:
I’m finding more interesting things searching on canapés rather than appetizers. I’ll list a couple. Let me know if you want recipes for any.

NYT canapé has a 5-star (~900 reviews) that’s an old favorite: olives wrapped in cheddar dough, then baked. Hot Cheese Olives

(Neighbor just stopped by…I promised her scones). I’ve got to run but here is last thing:

Was just reviewing PioneerWoman Top 20 finger foods.

The hot cheese olives are SO retro!! And GOOD. From the 70s and have made a comeback.

toast triangles with lox and a dollop of whipped cream cheese.
My DMIL made a tea canape by putting a small shrimp in the bottom of a mini-muffin tin and pouring tomato aspic over. Could be Bloody Mary aspic. Unmold on a cracker. Put a dollop of sour cream on top.

Caprese skewers- cherry tomato, piece of basil leaf, little mozzarella ball on a party pick
Figs, stuffed with cheese (goat, feta, blue) then wrapped with parcooked bacon and broiled until bacon is done.
Ham, cream cheese and pickled veggie bites. Spread a slice of boiled ham with cream cheese, place pickled veggie (asparagus, okra) at one short end, roll, slice and pit pieces on toothpicks

If you would like to have a "tea sandwich"--crustless triangle--I have a famous-in-our-town recipe for a vegetable sandwich spread.
This is so much more than the sum of its parts you will be amazed. When these are served they are the first to go.
2 cucumbers, peeled
1 smallish carrot
1 rib celery
1/2 red bell pepper
1 green onion, white only
1 envelope plain gelatin
1/2C good mayonnaise
salt and pepper
Loaf of white bread
Coarsely chop the veggies and put in food processor. Process until fine but not pureeed
Drain veggies in a sieve, saving the juice. Add enough water to make 1/2C
put juice in sauce pan. Soften the gelatin in the juice. Add S&P (don't oversalt). Bring to a simmer to
completely dissolve the gelatin. Add the mayo to the gelatin mixture and mix well--I use a whisk to
get it smooth.
Fold in the vegetables and mix will. Refirgerate to set. I make this the night before.
I typically use supermarket sandwich bread. Pepperidge Farm thin sliced white bread also works
Cut crusts off of the bread. Spread the mixture on the bread and top with another slice. Cut in
triangles.
These are best made on the day of the party. I cover with a moist paper towel and wrap with Saran on the tray.

This is an all-time favorite small-bite quiche appetizer I have used for years which comes from Martha Stewart's ENTERTAINING. It can be made ahead and frozen, then reheated prior to serving. It comes out beautifully--fresh or frozen. It makes 84 hors d'oeuvres, and I often halve the recipe.

SPINACH-CHEESE QUICHE
This hors d'oeuvre is baked on a large cookie sheet with sides (17-1/2 X 12-1/2 inches) in a partially baked pastry shell and then cut into bite-sized squares. Each sheet will make 84 squares.

PASTRY SHELL
1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter
5 Tablespoons unsalted margarine (I omit the margarine and simply use a total of 2 sticks unsalted butter.)
3-1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 teaspoon salt
Ice water

FILLING
6 green onions, chopped
6 Tablespoons butter
2 - 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (After draining and thoroughly squeezing between sheets of paper towels, I pulse the chopped spinach a couple quick turns in my Cuisinart to break it up.)
3 cups heavy whipping cream

9 eggs
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese

To make the pastry, cut the shortening into the flour by hand or in a food processor. Mix in the salt. Add the ice water drop by drop until the pastry forms a ball. It must not be sticky. Flatten into a rectangle and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for at least 1 hour. (I do NOT chill at this point, or it's too hard to roll out.) Roll pastry on a floured board into a rectangle large enough to fill the pan. (I roll the dough between sheets of waxed paper to at least 14 inches by 20 inches and bigger than that is fine.) Press into the pan and flute the edges. (I spray the pan with PAM first.) Chill for 1/2 hour. (Definitely chill at this point.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line pastry with aluminum foil, fill with weights (beans, etc.), and bake for 15 minutes (I bake for 10 minutes). Remove weights and foil and bake 5 minutes longer until pastry is cooked, but not colored.

To make filling, saute the green onions in butter. Add spinach and stir over high heat 2 minutes. In a bowl mix (whisk) the cream with the eggs. Pour into spinach mixture and season with salt, freshly ground pepper and nutmeg. Sprinkle cheese in bottom of tart shell and pour custard on top of cheese.

Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven until puffed and custard is set. DO NOT OVER COOK. (I begin checking with a silver knife at the 23-minute mark.) Cut into small squares and serve hot.

NOTE: Quiche can be frozen after baking--uncut and well wrapped. Thaw in preheated oven until hot (approximately 20 minutes). Cut into serving pieces. (I let frozen quiche partially thaw in the refrigerator before reheating in the oven.)

This is for a bridal shower and the main food will be catered. Based on the last bridal shower, we are talking everything needs to be Pinterest pretty worthy. I looked through t&t, and pretty much everything is a dip, spread or what have you. Here, we are looking to have everything plated on trays and guests pick up individual serving for themselves.

Thanks!
I love these apple-onion triangles. They're delicious and freeze beautifully, makes a good amount, so great to make ahead and get them out of the way. :)

Apple/Onion Triangles

Ingredients
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound yellow onions, thinly sliced
About 1/2 tsp. salt
2 Granny Smith or other tart apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, defrosted just before use
3 ounces fontina cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
Preparation

1. Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add apples and stir to coat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until onions are medium brown, about 30 minutes. Stir in pepper and salt to taste. Set aside and let cool, about 10 minutes.

2. Preheat oven to 375. Unwrap puff pastry sheet. Cut sheet into 16 squares, then halve those squares diagonally to make 32 triangles. Arrange them, not touching, on a baking sheet.

3. Place a spoonful of cooled onion-apple mixture on each triangle. Top with a sprinkle of shredded cheese and minced thyme. Bake until puffed and golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot.

These savory hors d'oeuvres can be assembled in advance. ideal for relaxed entertaining. Prep and Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours. Notes: The onion-apple topping can be made up to 2 days ahead. The triangles can be prepared, covered, and chilled the morning of a party, then popped into the oven when guests arrive. They can also be frozen, wrapped well, for up to 3 months (do not defrost before baking).

Yield: Makes 32 hors d'oeuvres

Thanks!
I think these are pinterest worthy. :) 1664730293805.png

You can save some $$ and make your own Boursin....

I do the brie kisses - still very popular even though it's been around a while. I love Peter Callahan caterers out of NYC - and he has two books. Almost all his appetizers are bites that things you pick up and eat, not dips and don't require utensils. Even if I don't use his recipe, I have gotten SO many great ideas for how to make things that are finger foods, how to present them, etc. from his books, articles about them, etc. When we were in NYC last October, a place we ate breakfast at most mornings for 3 weeks was across the street from them and it was all I could do not to drag hubby over there and beg for a tour or inside look at what they do.
Luxury Event Productions

The hot cheese olives are SO retro!! And GOOD. From the 70s and have made a comeback.

toast triangles with lox and a dollop of whipped cream cheese.
My DMIL made a tea canape by putting a small shrimp in the bottom of a mini-muffin tin and pouring tomato aspic over. Could be Bloody Mary aspic. Unmold on a cracker. Put a dollop of sour cream on top.
I like Michael Chiarello's sausage stuffed fried olives and they stay crispy once they cool down and are perfect at room temp. Michael Roux had a little single subject cookbook - think it is in the puff pastry one - for olives that you line up on puff pastry and seal down around them then slice - very nice presentation and taste good but I love olives.

oh, I loved Michel Roux's little book on eggs. Very comprehensive for such a singular ingredient.
And I just checked out a Peter Callahan appetizer book from the library. You're right. Very clever ideas.

Last edited:
I finally got the main food theme: Italian. There will be a green salad and fruit salad with Alfredo pasta and lemon chicken. Other appetizers being brought: Bruschetta, little quiches, and a charcuterie tray. They will have somebody there giving everyone pedicures and appetizers will be passed while people are having that done. I was asked to bring spinach dip, and will probably provide that on slices of baguette so it can be passed. I really liked the tomato soup and grilled cheese idea, but I don’t think it goes with this, plus this happens to fall on my sister-in-law the hostess’s birthday and I remember the last couple of years, probably due to our drought, it’s actually been hot outside. So I don’t think soup’s in the mix. And since I found out my sil is actually cooking some (chicken and pasta), I don’t want to invade her kitchen by using the oven.

I love olives too, and was thinking I’d pick some up at the deli counter to serve with tooth picks In addition to whatever I make.

At the moment I’m thinking, 1) crackers topped w goat cheese and chili fig jam (it’s good and already in my pantry). 2) I like the idea of figs with Gorgonzola, topped w onion jam (it’s my favorite way to eat onion jam, but that’s something else served on bread, plus the cheese is crumbly.) 3&4) Of course there is always deviled eggs, not very inspiring or Italian, but always well received. Another thought is watermelon cut bite sized, scooped an filled with a balsamic reduction (a lot of knife work).

5) What I’m most intrigued by is this recipe, but again, it’s more bread. I don’t know if a third appetizer served on bread is too much bread — what do you think? I love the idea of lemon and the bride to be loves lemon too, not to mention I have a tree full of Meyers. But is this too much bread?

oh, I loved Michel Roux's little book on eggs. Very comprehensive for such a singular ingredient.
And I just checked out a Peter Callahan appetizer book from the library. You're right. Very clever ideas.
He has two books out now so look for the other one. Not sure which one you got but they are both great inspiration. I also follow him on IG to see his latest creations.

I finally got the main food theme: Italian. There will be a green salad and fruit salad with Alfredo pasta and lemon chicken. Other appetizers being brought: Bruschetta, little quiches, and a charcuterie tray. They will have somebody there giving everyone pedicures and appetizers will be passed while people are having that done. I was asked to bring spinach dip, and will probably provide that on slices of baguette so it can be passed. I really liked the tomato soup and grilled cheese idea, but I don’t think it goes with this, plus this happens to fall on my sister-in-law the hostess’s birthday and I remember the last couple of years, probably due to our drought, it’s actually been hot outside. So I don’t think soup’s in the mix. And since I found out my sil is actually cooking some (chicken and pasta), I don’t want to invade her kitchen by using the oven.

I love olives too, and was thinking I’d pick some up at the deli counter to serve with tooth picks In addition to whatever I make.

At the moment I’m thinking, 1) crackers topped w goat cheese and chili fig jam (it’s good and already in my pantry). 2) I like the idea of figs with Gorgonzola, topped w onion jam (it’s my favorite way to eat onion jam, but that’s something else served on bread, plus the cheese is crumbly.) 3&4) Of course there is always deviled eggs, not very inspiring or Italian, but always well received. Another thought is watermelon cut bite sized, scooped an filled with a balsamic reduction (a lot of knife work).

5) What I’m most intrigued by is this recipe, but again, it’s more bread. I don’t know if a third appetizer served on bread is too much bread — what do you think? I love the idea of lemon and the bride to be loves lemon too, not to mention I have a tree full of Meyers. But is this too much bread?

Since you already have the crackers with the chili fig jam, why not do the lemon ricotta bruschetta or instead of doing it as bruschetta, maybe put it in those little tiny phyllo cups so they aren't as bready?
Or even make little mini fricos or frico cups with parmesan, gran padano, or romano that you could top or fill with any of the fillings.
Or, what about combining the gorgonzola and onion jam and stuffing the figs and wrapping with prosciutto so that you don't need to put it on anything like bread.
Also, we did little appetizers roll-ups for our Garde manger final that was made of grilled strips of zucchini and eggplant spread with an herbed ricotta and some small salad greens that stuck out the top after they were rolled so you could play around with either the lemon ricotta filling or even the gorgonzola and onion jam filling. Or use strips of prosciutto instead of the grilled vegetables to roll up the filling.
Seeing the theme is Italian - you could always do prosciutto wrapped melon.
Arancini
Michael Chiarello's stuffed fried olives that I mentioned before are stuffed with Italian sausage
As you said, deviled eggs are always popular (and always the first to go at any event I see them at) so why not make the filling with pesto for an Italian twist?
Make a firm polenta, spread on an oiled sheet pan and chill. Cut into small squares or circles and top with something like balsamic roasted cippollini onions or balsamic roasted tomatoes or sun dried tomatoes/pesto, finely chopped caponata, sauteed mushrooms with melted fontina or any other topping
Mini calzones or even stuff little balls of bread/roll dough, brush w/melted herbed butter and bake
There are some little finger sandwiches we had somewhere in Italy late afternoon - one had tuna, chopped ripe olives, and capers, another had an artichoke filling that was lemony
Instead of the typical caprese skewers, marinated little mozzarella bites or even other Italian cheeses that have been marinated, with olives - plain or marinated, and plain or marinated cherry tomato halves. Or use any combination of things like good cured meats sliced thick, cubed or scrunched up pieces of prosciutto. Don't forget all the great antipasto platter ingredients - just cut into bite-sized pieces and skewer.

If you wanted to continue with "soup" it could be gazpacho even if not Italian.
Here's a nice looking container (it comes larger too) that could do for dip (below) or soup.

You could do something with bread steicks--have seen a recipe with them wrapped with bacon and cooked crisp!! with some brown sugar? That could get you away from more bread.

It shows how much everyone LOVES spinach dip!! For a plate you could put some dip in a small container and have chips on the side. If they are going to pass appies, plates will be needed to serve from trays where the guests are being pampered.

Last edited:
Back