ISO: ISO small plate appetizers you just pick up vs dip/spread etc

In Search Of:
I’m just gonna throw a wrench here: how close to the wedding is this? Cause I’m thinking bridesmaids and brides and moms all getting gown fittings before the big day.

Maybe offer a lighter fruitier touch & less bread? Love the melon/prosciutto idea or the fig and onion jam but served on something less carb-y than bread or crackers.

I finally got the main food theme: Italian. There will be a green salad and fruit salad with Alfredo pasta and lemon chicken. Other appetizers being brought: Bruschetta, little quiches, and a charcuterie tray. They will have somebody there giving everyone pedicures and appetizers will be passed while people are having that done. I was asked to bring spinach dip, and will probably provide that on slices of baguette so it can be passed. I really liked the tomato soup and grilled cheese idea, but I don’t think it goes with this, plus this happens to fall on my sister-in-law the hostess’s birthday and I remember the last couple of years, probably due to our drought, it’s actually been hot outside. So I don’t think soup’s in the mix. And since I found out my sil is actually cooking some (chicken and pasta), I don’t want to invade her kitchen by using the oven.

I love olives too, and was thinking I’d pick some up at the deli counter to serve with tooth picks In addition to whatever I make.

At the moment I’m thinking, 1) crackers topped w goat cheese and chili fig jam (it’s good and already in my pantry). 2) I like the idea of figs with Gorgonzola, topped w onion jam (it’s my favorite way to eat onion jam, but that’s something else served on bread, plus the cheese is crumbly.) 3&4) Of course there is always deviled eggs, not very inspiring or Italian, but always well received. Another thought is watermelon cut bite sized, scooped an filled with a balsamic reduction (a lot of knife work).

5) What I’m most intrigued by is this recipe, but again, it’s more bread. I don’t know if a third appetizer served on bread is too much bread — what do you think? I love the idea of lemon and the bride to be loves lemon too, not to mention I have a tree full of Meyers. But is this too much bread?
Maybe you can put the spinach dip on something else? Romaine rib, endive, cucumber or red pepper slice, stuff into mini peppers? Frees up a bread for your lemon ricotta bruschetta.

I’m just gonna throw a wrench here: how close to the wedding is this? Cause I’m thinking bridesmaids and brides and moms all getting gown fittings before the big day.

Maybe offer a lighter fruitier touch & less bread? Love the melon/prosciutto idea or the fig and onion jam but served on something less carb-y than bread or crackers.
The wedding is early November, I think maybe the 5th. Good point!

This is for a bridal shower and the main food will be catered. Based on the last bridal shower, we are talking everything needs to be Pinterest pretty worthy. I looked through t&t, and pretty much everything is a dip, spread or what have you. Here, we are looking to have everything plated on trays and guests pick up individual serving for themselves.

Anyone one have a party worthy delicious recipe that fits this parameter?

Thanks!
I finally got the main food theme: Italian. There will be a green salad and fruit salad with Alfredo pasta and lemon chicken. Other appetizers being brought: Bruschetta, little quiches, and a charcuterie tray. They will have somebody there giving everyone pedicures and appetizers will be passed while people are having that done. I was asked to bring spinach dip, and will probably provide that on slices of baguette so it can be passed. I really liked the tomato soup and grilled cheese idea, but I don’t think it goes with this, plus this happens to fall on my sister-in-law the hostess’s birthday and I remember the last couple of years, probably due to our drought, it’s actually been hot outside. So I don’t think soup’s in the mix. And since I found out my sil is actually cooking some (chicken and pasta), I don’t want to invade her kitchen by using the oven.

I love olives too, and was thinking I’d pick some up at the deli counter to serve with tooth picks In addition to whatever I make.

At the moment I’m thinking, 1) crackers topped w goat cheese and chili fig jam (it’s good and already in my pantry). 2) I like the idea of figs with Gorgonzola, topped w onion jam (it’s my favorite way to eat onion jam, but that’s something else served on bread, plus the cheese is crumbly.) 3&4) Of course there is always deviled eggs, not very inspiring or Italian, but always well received. Another thought is watermelon cut bite sized, scooped an filled with a balsamic reduction (a lot of knife work).

5) What I’m most intrigued by is this recipe, but again, it’s more bread. I don’t know if a third appetizer served on bread is too much bread — what do you think? I love the idea of lemon and the bride to be loves lemon too, not to mention I have a tree full of Meyers. But is this too much bread?
Green olive tapanade would be good with the menu. This is the very best I've ever eaten:
Green Olive Paste Canape Penelope Casas

(CANAPE DE PASTA DE ACEITUNA VERDE)

Olives, capers, anchovy, almonds, and garlic, the ingredients in this recipe, are the very essence of the flavour of Spain. This canape always reminds me of the endless olive groves of Jaen, the plains of Castilla, the taverns of Madrid, Sevilla. The paste is wonderful spread on a slice of bread, but it could also serve as a condiment, enlivening the taste of, for example, meatballs, empanadilla fillings, and salad dressings.

SERVES 4 (MAKES ABOUT 12)

40 pitted green Spanish olives, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon capers
4 anchovies from a freshly opened can, coarsely chopped
1 t. finely ground blanched almonds
1 clove garlic, mashed to a paste or put through a garlic press
4 tablespoons fruity olive oil
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon paprika, preferably Spanish style
1/4 teaspoon thyme
Freshly ground pepper

About twelve 1/4-inch slices long crusty loaf bread
Pimiento for garnish....optional

Place all ingredients except bread and pimiento in the bowl of a processor and mix until as finely chopped as possible. Transfer to a mortar and pound until the mixture forms a paste. [May be prepared ahead] Spread very thinly on the bread and garnish with pieces of pimiento.
If you wanted to continue with "soup" it could be gazpacho even if not Italian.
Here's a nice looking container (it comes larger too) that could do for dip (below) or soup.

You could do something with bread steicks--have seen a recipe with them wrapped with bacon and cooked crisp!! with some brown sugar? That could get you away from more bread.

It shows how much everyone LOVES spinach dip!! For a plate you could put some dip in a small container and have chips on the side. If they are going to pass appies, plates will be needed to serve from trays where the guests are being pampered.

Don't forget the onion tarts!!

Onion Tarts Hors d’œuvre Deb in Mi

Pastry for one 9-inch pie shell

Filling.

3 T. butter

1 medium onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, finely chopped

1/4 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Dash cayenne pepper

Dash freshly ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon salt

Press walnut-sized pieces of the pastry dough evenly into 24 miniature tart shells and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350’F. To make the filling: In a medium-sized skillet, melt the butter and saut6 the onion and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined.

Fill the reserved tart shells to the top and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Remove and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve warm. Makes 24 miniature tarts.

1 pkg. Pillsbury sheet pastry cuts up into 12 2 ½ " shallow tarts, perfect for this quantity of filling

Freezes well but breaks easily after

If you want another spread, I was going to post this anyway. It could be spread in advance on sesame crackers. I"ve been making this since the early 70s and just brought it back last week. People didn't talk until it was all gone. It must be absolutely cold.
Eggplant Caviar

(Serves 8)

1 large eggplant
2 medium-size fresh tomatoes
1/4 cup salad oil
2 medium-size onions, very small dice
1 small clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 green pepper, very small dice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons finely minced fresh dill

Place eggplant in shallow pan in oven preheated to 450 F. Bake 45 minutes, turning once to bake evenly. Remove from pan and cut in half lengthwise. With sharp paring knife or grapefruit knife, remove pulp from eggplant shell; avoid tearing shell. Cut pulp into very small dice and set aside. Set the eggplant shells aside.

Lower tomatoes into a pot of rapidly boiling water for 20-30 seconds; then hold them under cold running water for a few seconds, peel off the skin and remove stem ends. Press tomatoes to squeeze out excess liquid; then cut them into very small dice. (I don't bother to peel them now if I'm in a hurry; I just pick out a few bits of skin as I am cooking the mixture)

In a shallow saucepan, heat oil. Add onions garlic, green pepper, eggplant and tomatoes. Saute slowly, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender. Add lemon juice, dill, and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon cooked mixture into eggplant shells. Chill in refrigerator until ice-cold, Serve with sesame crackers.

Important to serve very cold. Playboy Host & Barbook (Serves 8)

Last edited:
Brandade Tartlets: Joanie

Boil 12 oz of potatoes (in their skins for this)
in salted water until tender.
Peel the potatoes and set aside.
Poach 1 LB desalinated salt cod in
1 pint milk for 5 to 8 mins.
Drain the fish but reserve the milk.
Peel the skin off the fish if there is skin, discard the skin.
Mash 2 large cloves garlic
Wash and destalk a small bunch of parsley, drain.
Juice 1 lemon.

Put all the above ingredients into the processor add a teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper or to taste. Then with the motor running pour in about a 1/4 cup of the reserved milk through the tube.
Then pour in enough Evoo slowly to make a thick consistancy (like thick mayonaise)
Adjust seasoning if necessary.

Using 1LB phyllo pastry cut squares that will fit into small patty tins..(I use the tassie type tin I have)(oil the depressions)
Take about three squares of phyllo, brush a little oil on each one.
Set these squares at an angle to each other and press into the tin leaving the pointy ends sticking up and molding the base.
Fill the pastry with about a tsp of the brandade.
Bake in a preheated oven 475* for about 10 mins.
(Sometimes I can get the point of the phyllo to curve outwards.

In fact, I prefer making my brandade recipe and serving it with toasted baguette. It's another loved one. But more bread.

Last edited:
I think it will be tough to get away from using breads, since people have to sit to have their toes done. By the time some of the baguettes are sliced thin and baked, there isn't much left of them anyway, and crackers are just a vehicle.

So here's another dip:

PROVENCAL CHICKPEA SLATHER Makes about 2 cups

Nice is famous for the abundant use of chickpeas and chickpea flour in its cooking. To infuse the peas with a robust flavour before pureeing, I gently cook them with fennel, garlic, and anise-flavoured Pernod. This also enhances the flavour of fennel. Serve a bowl of ripe purple figs or peaches alongside for a taste of sweet.
Sheila Lukins - All Around the World Cookbook

6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
I cup finely chopped fennel bulb
I cup finely chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon anise seeds
I can (19 ounces) chickpeas, (garbanzo beans) drained
2 tablespoons dry white wine
I tablespoon Pernod
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fennel ferns

1. Warm 4 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the fennel, onion, garlic, and anise seeds. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes.

2. Add the chickpeas, white wine, Pernod, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until most of the liquid is absorbed and the flavours blend together, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the fennel ferns.

3. Coarsely puree the mixture in batches in a food processor, adding up to 2 tablespoons more oil if desired. Adjust the seasonings and cool to room temperature.

I will comment on the bridesmaids and fittings and "lighter fare". We went to a wedding of our son's best friend and went to all the festivities several days before the event. It was at one of the parties that I first had the brown sugar bacon. And these were full thick slices of that wonderful appy. Those sweet young things were scarfing them down as soon as they hit the table!! I was really amused!!
BUT it is a good observation!! LOL

A way to get away from all baguette slices would by to serve some with a crispy polenta cake. Or baby romaine or endive leaves. Maybe someone already mentioned that.

Back