ISO: ISO: Susie_MI, or anyone who's made nlb's "Really Rich Stew".

In Search Of:

michael-in-phoenix

I made this exactly as written, and it was so SWEET we couldn't eat it!

I thought the beer would cut the sweet onions and the sugar, but whoa!

I had to put it back on the stove and add black pepper and a ton of vinegar to bring it back down to a reasonable level of 'savory'.

Is this supposed to taste like this? Is it common to some part of the country to eat very sweet beef stew? Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

I guess I should've known. 12 oz of dark beer and Tbsp. of dijon isn't going to ...

...do it when you have:

sweet onions
brown sugar
sweet corn
baby carrots

Silly me.

Michael

I did add quite a bit of water to keep it from drying out. Susie says...

...she makes it to take to others in her circle. I wonder if she makes it as written, or tweaks some of the sweetness out?

Michael

Hi Michael...I'm so sorry to hear that you had problems with this >>>

I just reviewed the original recipe I got from Gail's and it is the same one I posted. I do make the stew as the recipe is written, including that much sugar. I always make it with Guiness so I don't know if that cuts the sweetness. And I do remember adding the whole 16 oz of beer (or whatever the bottle size is)if my husband isn't around to drink the rest of it. The only tweaks I ever make are putting in whatever vegetables I happen to have around.

Maybe it is a Midwestern thing for the sweet taste LOL....I think that nlb was orginally from the Detroit area! I'm glad that you were able to salvage the stew. Please let me know if you try it again and tweak the recipe.

Back