ISO: ISO T &T Jalapeno corn bread recipe(nt)

In Search Of:
T&T REC Mexican Cornbread

This isn't Mexican in origin but it is my favorite corn bread recipe. It is from the New York Times Bread & Soup Cookbook

Mexican Cornbread

3 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sour cream
2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
2-1/4 cups cornmeal (I use coarse yellow)
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded
1/2 green sweet pepper
1/4 tsp chili powder
2 cups canned, creamed corn
2-1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated

Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the oil, sour cream and salt and mix well. Sift the baking powder with the cornmeal and stir into the egg mixture. chop the jalapeno peppers and green pepper then add with the chili powder and canned corn. Beat with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Grease a heavy skillet and pour in half of the cornbread batter. Sprinkle with half the cheese. top with the remaining batter and add the rest of the cheese. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

My note: I also sometimes make this in a high-sided 10" cake pan- I mix the cheese in with the batter and bake it like that.

Cornbread is WONDERFUL when baked in a hot cast iron skillet!

It makes a nice crispy edge to it that is TDF!

Preheat skillet in hot oven, remove, then use whatever fat you want (butter, bacon grease, oil) and add a little flour to it then spread it around the hot pan. Pour batter in and return skillet to oven to bake. Won't stick and is awesome!

I absolutely agree cast iron is the way to go but sometimes I need to make a lot and

make it in 9' square pans because 4 pans fit on each of my oven racks. I personally prefer it made in a cast iron skillet. Lovely, crunchy crust.

I agree about the cast iron, but I need a big pan for my book club(more)

and the 13 x 9 would be easy since I have to make it ahead and take it. I guess I could just do two batches and then reheat them at the hostess's home.

Beefy Mexican Cornbread recipe.

Mexican Corn Bread

2 c. pian cornmeal (I use yellow)
2 eggs
large can cream style corn
2 c. cheddar cheese
1/2 c. oil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 can chopped green chile peppers
1 c. buttermilk
1 lb. ground beef

Oops, again, i keep hitting enter

1 onion, chopped
Brown the ground beef and onion until meat is no longer pink. I usually put in a colander and run under hot water to get a lot of the grease off. Mix all other ingredients except cheese and meat mixture in a mixing bowl. Spray a 13 x 9" pan with cooking spray. Put enough batter in bottom just to cover. Top with the ground beef and onion mixture and then the cheese. Pour on the remaining cornbread mixture and smooth evenly over pan. Bake at 450 for 30 minutes. I usually serve this with picante sauce for topping, sour cream and some good cole slaw. I also like to freeze leftovers in individual portions. It microwaves great.

Back