ISO: ISO your favorite apple pie recipe - feeling the urge to bake!>>>

In Search Of:

heather_in_sf

I know it's "cheating" but I love the pie crusts from Trader Joe's! for some reason I have a huge fear of making my own crust. anyway, I'm dying for an apple pie, and besides the recipe in Joy of Cooking, I'd love to try something fun and jazzy - without raisins.

Thanks in advance!

The ultimate Apple Pie is

in a Wolfgang Puck's "Adventures in the Kitchen." This is a slam dunk of a recipe, it's as if it stepped out of a Rembrandt still life:

Christmas Apple Pie

Pate Sucré (recipe follows) 2 pounds
5 pounds (about 10 large) Pippin or Granny Smith apples
6 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Calvados
1 tablespoon brandy
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 ounces (about 1/4 cup) chopped dried prunes
1 1/2 ounces (about 1/4 cup) chopped dried apricots
1 ounce (about 1/4 cup) chopped dried figs
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 egg white, very lightly whisked
1 1/2 tablespoons crystallized sugar

Directions

1. Divide the dough into two parts, one a little larger than the other. Wrap the larger piece in plastic wrap and reserve. On a lightly floured surface, roll the smaller piece into a round, 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick, large enough to overlap a 10 x 2-inch pie plate. Arrange in the pie plate and even with a sharp knife, leaving about a 1/2-inch overhang. (Add the trimmings to the reserved dough). Tuck the overhang back under, making a slightly thicker edging. Chill for 30 minutes. If using a glass pie plate, remove from the refrigerator 15 minutes before filling.

2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the reserved piece of dough into a 12-inch square, about 1/4 inch thick. Cut out a piece of cardboard, 1/2 inch wide and 10 or 12 inches long. Wrap the strip in plastic wrap and use as a guide. With a sharp knife or a pastry cutter, cut the dough into 20 1/2-inch strips. Lay 10 strips vertically on the back of a large baking pan, leaving a very small space between strips. Weave a lattice pattern by placing each of the remaining strips over and under horizontally. (It’s easier to weave if the dough is not too firm, but it can't be too soft, either. If it's too soft, refrigerate for a little while and then continue). To weave, turn back every other strip of dough (1, 3, 5, etc.), lay a horizontal strip across, as close to the top as possible, and return the turned-back strips to the original length.

3. For the next row, alternate the strips that you turn back (2, 4, 6, etc.) and again place a horizontal strip across, close to the first strip. Repeat this procedure until all the strips are used. Refrigerate just until firm. Using a 9-inch cardboard round, a plate, or a pot cover as a guide, cut out a 9-inch circle of latticework and refrigerate on the baking pan until needed. (Excess dough can be wrapped and refrigerated or frozen for future use).

4. Peel, core and quarter the apples. Cut into 1/4 - inch slices. In 2 or 3 large skillets, melt the butter (2 or 3 tablespoons in each skillet, depending upon how many you use) and brown. The butter will have a slightly nutty aroma. Divide the apples, arrange in the pans, and coat with the butter. Sprinkle in the sugar and over medium-high heat, saute the apples until lightly caramelized and tender, 15 to 20 minutes, turning often so that the apples cook evenly. Pour in 1 tablespoon of Calvados and the brandy and cook until the alcohol burns off. Pour in the cream and stir through. Transfer and spread over a large baking tray to cool.

5. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. and then warm the remaining 1/4 cup Calvados. Combine the chopped prunes, apricots, and figs in a small bowl. Pour the Calvados over and let plump.
6. In a large bowl, combine the cooled apples and the plumped dried fruit. Stir in the lemon juice, cinnamon, lemon and orange zests, and nutmeg, and mix well. Spoon the filling into the prepared pie plate. Using a wide spatula, carefully transfer the 9-inch latticework circle and arrange on top of the filling. Brush the latticework with egg white and sprinkle with the crystallized sugar. Bake 30 minutes, turn the oven down to 350 degrees F and bake 35 to 40 minutes longer, until the crust is golden brown. Cool on a rack and serve warm.

Serves 8 to 10 people.

Pate Sucré (Pie Dough)

Ingredients

2 1/3 cups cake or pastry flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
2 egg yolks
1 or 2 tablespoons heavy cream

Directions

1. In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine the flour and sugar. Add the butter and process until the texture resembles fine meal.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together the yolks and 1 tablespoon of the cream. Scrape into the machine and process until a ball begins to form, using the additional tablespoon of cream, if necessary. Remove the dough from the machine, and on a lightly floured surface, press down into a circle. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Makes about 1 1/2 pounds or two 9-inch tart shells.

Recipe copyright ©1991 by Wolfgang Puck, Adventures in the Kitchen.

My favorite apple Pie REC

Sometimes I add about 1/3 cup heavy cream to this in the last five minutes of baking time- I create a "funnel" out of foil and pour it into steam holes I cut in the top of the pie

MOM'S APPLE PIE
makes one deep dish pie- preheat oven to 400º
6 large Granny Smith green apples
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 heaping tbsp. corn starch
pinch salt
1 level tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp butter
2 pie crusts
extra cinnamon and some sugar to sprinkle on top.
Take pie crusts out to come to room temperature. Peel, core and slice apples and put into the big green bowl. Add the brown sugar, corn starch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; mix and set aside.

Layer pan with a pie crust and push down into bottom. Pile apple mix in shell. Cut butter into 4 pieces and dot apples with it. Wet the rim of the crust with a little water. Open up the second crust and drape over the top. Seal the rim thoroughly and then flute it, pushing flutes towards the center of the pie so they don't droop when baking. Make slits in top of pie then sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over top. Bake on a lipped cookie sheet for 10 minutes then turn down the heat to 350º and bake for about another 35 minutes......more if you are baking other things at the same time, maybe a little less if you are baking only the pie. Poke apples with knife to see if they are done. If the top of the pie gets too brown, cover with aluminum foil to reflect the heat.

I know this is not the type of Apple pie you are talking about but...

since you were talking about Apple pie I wanted to share this. We had a Christmas party and someone brought a bottle of this and oh my gosh it tastes just like Apple pie. Everyone loved it. We served in small cordial glasses.

Apple Pie Cocktail
1 gallon apple cider
1 gallon apple juice
2 cups of sugar
10 cinnamon sticks

Bring to a boil. Let simmer for 2 hours. Strain through cheesecloth. Add fifth of Everclear. Mix well and bottle. It made 9 wine bottles.

Whoa, Jillealaine! You are a gal after my own heart! LOL >>>

this sounds great - wish I could make this for Sunday night! smileys/smile.gif but I'm saving it for my christmas gifts to make file - maybe it will start a whole new fad (remember when everyone was making Kaluha?!)

Thank you!!!

These both sound so good! Looking forward to my baking tomorrow >>>

and so are my guy and his little Natalie - she's going to help me bake (she's 8 - good kitchen helper!).

Thank you so much!

But Cathy, what if I don't have a "big green bowl"? smileys/smile.gif

I love that personal touch in your recipe - is that your big green bowl, or is it Mom's?

Don't you love how certain dishes have to be made, or served, in a certain piece?

That's the stuff of memories and traditions, that pass down from generation to generation.

p.s. and maybe I'll try your recipe too. Apple pie baking is definitely not my thing, but hubby loves to eat it.

Better go look for a big green bowl....

smileys/smile.gif

Oh now...we're going to have to have some of this...

next year when we wander totally lost in the cornfield maze! We laughed so hard this year, but we needed something special to take the chill out of the night!

Only one question...where do I GET Everclear? I at least KNOW what it is! Any good substitutes or do you need it to burn like jet fuel?

How long would something like this keep?

Any idea? (and I'm not referring to how quickly you drink it! haha)

Thanks

Not sure....you have to store in the refrigerator...more

my neighbor makes wine and I used his corker and corked my bottles. I gave away all of mine or brought it parties. That is good question. What do you think?? I will ask the person I got the recipe from.

LOL Sandi- I wrote it out for myself and didn't edit it when I put it here and yes, the

big green bowl was my Mom's. I am ROTFL here.

We (my husband and I) make 3-4 apple pies a week for our little shop and Mom's bowl is always there. Don't know what I would do without it....I probably wouldn't be able to make a pie!

Back