ISO: ISO Your Favorite Dish To Bring Someone (more)

In Search Of:

buonappetito

I have babies being born left and right around here and love bringing a dish to the new families to help make their lives a little easier, at least for one or two evenings. I am running out of ideas for delicious dishes to bring and knew you all would have some excellent ideas and recipes.

Thanks in advance for any replies and ideas.

C

I make sugar cookies with baby-themed cookie cutters...

and decorate them in blue or pink royal icing according to the occasion. I also cut out the baby's name with my alphabet cutters and make a rectangular birth certificate with the name, birthday, weight and length. It's not really a practical gift like a meal might be, but it's always appreciated and people love them. Plus, you can ship them to those that might be far way (although I recommend FedExing them).

Rec: Chicken Tetrazzini from Southern Living

Someone brought this to me when I had my second child and it was so comforting -- to know someone cared enough to cook for us and to make something so yummy! I've made it for others (along with a salad, a loaf of bread, and a simple dessert).

Chicken Tetrazzini

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 medium-size sweet onion, diced
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups milk
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
4 cups diced cooked chicken
12 ounces vermicelli, cooked
1 (6-ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
1 cup soft breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

Melt 1/2 cup butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add diced onion, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
Whisk in flour until smooth, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually add milk and wine; cook, whisking constantly, 5 to 6 minutes or until thickened.

Add bouillon granules, seasoned pepper, and 1 cup cheese. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute or until bouillon granules dissolve and cheese melts. Remove from heat. Stir in chicken, pasta, and mushrooms. Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.

Bake chicken mixture, covered, at 350° for 20 minutes.

Stir together remaining 1/2 cup cheese, breadcrumbs, and 2 tablespoons melted butter, and sprinkle evenly over casserole. Bake casserole 10 to 15 more minutes.

Yield: Makes 8 servings

Southern Living, JULY 2002

Another idea ...

After my second, someone else brought yummy bread and a bunch of different homemade salads (curry chicken salad, tuna salad, etc.) and dessert -- it was nice to have some yummy lunches, too!

Honestly, though, you are so hungry and sleep deprived post-baby -- anything will be appreciated!

comfort food

I have made huge pots of mashed potatoes, and then divided them up and added different ingredients to each...roasted garlic and spinach, bacon and peas, corn and chicken, whatever you think would taste yummy, and then packed them in either single or double serving size containers. Ready for the freezer.

I started doing this for my Grandma, and then it became the standard for everyone (except for the vegans of course).

You are sweet to be so thoughtful for your friends.

I love this chicken cold better than hot. It is from Jane Brody REC: Fried Chicken

* Exported from MasterCook *

FRIED CHICKEN

Recipe By : Jane Brody
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

6 chicken drumsticks -- skin removed
6 chicken thighs -- skin removed
2 cups Italian bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Skim milk -- for soaking chicken

Soak the chicken pieces in very cold skim milk in the refrigerator, for at least 15 minutes. Combine all dry ingredients in a large plate or pie plate. Coat each piece of chicken with the crumb mixture, making sure to cover all areas of the chicken. Place chicken on a jelly roll pan that has been sprayed with Pam or wiped with olive oil. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and bake your chicken for approximately 45 minutes for breast and 60 minutes for thighs. Serve at room temperature.
I was anemic during my pregnancy and my girlfriend brought me over a 2 plates of fried chicken livers, the day I got home from the hospital, OMG, it was my single most favorite meal I ever ate...lol. I think some chicken livers done with this recipe would be great too, and good for Mom also.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hi - yes, thoughtful of you! Here are some things I always appreciated...

*Beef stew (packed in 1-qt containers, ready for freezer)
*Vegetable soup/stew, also freezer-ready
*Lasagna
*Brownies - can't have enough chocolate at any one time, especially during stress! ;o)

More ideas...

I like to divide things into individual servings because with a new baby you're not always able to eat at the same time (initially anyway, when everyone's sleep deprived). I grab small souffle dishes (freezer/microwave/oven safe), fill them with meals, and wrap them ready for the freezer (I live near an importer and can get the dishes for

Rec: Chicken Pie

This recipe serves 8, but can be divided up for smaller families. The base can be frozen in casserole dishes and then thawed when you need it, with the topping adjusted to match the serving size.

Chicken Pie

Base:
5 chicken breasts, baked, skinned and deboned, and chopped.
2 cups chicken broth (approximately)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix together and put in ungreased casserole dish.

Topping:
1 cup self-rising flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 stick margarine, melted
1 cup milk

Mix all topping ingredients and pour over base.
Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown (45 minutes to 1 hour).

Serve with Ocean Spray Cran-Orange Relish, LeSeur Peas, Honey-Orange Carrots, and a light dessert.

Nursing moms will love you--no garlic or onions!

By the way (more)

I've been a full time lurker, sometime poster at the brand X site for years. I was fortunate to happen upon this url before it so rudely was removed. I appreciate the sweeter atmosphere here.

Rec: Honey Orange Carrots

This one is a true throw together -- very forgiving.

Cut and peeled baby carrots (as many as you think you'll eat), boiled until tender.
A good squeezing of honey from one of those cute little bears
Orange zest - minced
Fresh orange juice
A little margarine (or Butter Buds for lower calorie)

Boil carrot until tender, drain. Add honey, margarine, orange zest and orange juice. Warm over mediaum heat until heated through -- won't take long!

Back