ISO: ISO Zuri - need help with South African recipe

In Search Of:

music-city-missy

A friend is dating a lady from South Africa but I guess she never really had an interest in cooking until now and doesn't know the recipes. She wants me to help her with making sausage rolls. Do you have a recipe? I found a recipe for making the special sausage and another friend of mine that is from South Africa has a source for the sausage so that is no longer the problem. I've never had one so I don't know where to start. TIA

Not Zuri, but can help you....

Hi MCM...what kind of Sausage rolls are these that you want.
Normally they are a vienna sausage made in puff pastry, like one finds all over. The viennas are yummy in SA but any type found in the States can be used. Roll in bought puff pastry and cut into half and egg wash and cook in an oven as one would do for any puff pastry dish.
If you need the specifics for this I'll look one up in my books for you.
If it is a roll with a Boerewors sausage inside then it is the sausage that you are looking for, this you BBQ, then place in a normal bread roll (not the bun for hamburgers...they are not quite right)and top with fried onions, tomato sauce or what ever is the fav. flavour of the moment.
There are places in the States that do sell quite nice Boerewors although I'm not sure just where these stores are..
If you need more then please post
J

I am guessing but from what my friend said...

I took it that his girlfriend was describing something more like a 'sealed' package type of thing. Sort of like the meat pies of Australia - in fact, I think she described them as the sausage rolls like served in SA and Australia. She had been ordering the frozen prepared ones from Atlanta I believe but wants to be able to make them for her teenage daughter that has fallen in love with them. From the research I did quickly last night, I think they are made with the Boereswars. I'll try to find out more.

Yes do...the translation of....REC......

boerewors is farmer's (boere) sausage (wors pronounced with a hard 'v'for the 'w')
Here is the one from my Reader's Digest S.A. Cook Book
250g beef, minced
250g pork, minced
1 tsp salt
pinch ground cloves
pinch ground coriander
pinch grated nutmeg
pinch fresh ground black pepper
2 tsp vinegar (I'd use malt vinegar)
Sour Cream or flaky pastry (I'd used bought puff pastry)
Lightly mix the ingredients for the filling and roll into 1,5cm diameter sausage. Roll in a little flour and leave in the fridge to firm.
Make the pastry if so doing.
Roll out the pastry (as in the illustration)...
Roll out into a rectangle about 2mm thick. Place meat 3cm from the top end of the dough, brush a 1cm wide strip with water or beaten egg directly underneath the meat.
Grip the top end of the pastry and fold it over the sausage. Press down to firmly on the dampened portion to seal the edges and cut along the edge through the bottom layer.
Brush the top of this long rol with beaten egg and cut into 2.5cm pieces.
Place on a lightly greased baking sheet allowing 1cm space between and bake in a pre-heated 220*C oven for 30 mins.
The variations for the filling are skinned beef, pork or boerewors, Russian or Viennas.
Slice the Viennas lengthwise and spread with mustard (Colman's English usually) and sandwich with a thin strip of cheese.
Or wrap the sausage in a strip of streaky bacon.
Add somne interest by rolling meat in sage, or thyme!
Hope this will help.
Hugs and Happy New Year
J

That seems easy enough....

so it's really just the boereswars sausage encased in puff pastry and that's it? I think I can probably do that. Thanks!

Let me know how you think it turns out...I prefer the pork saus in the pastry and if I have the ....

energy I prefer the sour cream pastry to the bought puff pastry but all of it is yummy specially if you have a little "Mrs. Balls" chutney to go with the saus. rolls!
Hugs
J

If you get a chance, please post the sour cream pastry rec.....

I would like to try it. I didn't get to the butcher before they closed New Years Eve and I believe they close both Sunday and Monday unless they have changed so I am not going to have a chance to try this until next weekend but I am trying to have fun with things before classes start back in a few weeks and start taking up my time again.

Thanks!

Zuri here ... I am still confused by this site!

Music City Missy, sorry, I had a serious computer crash and haven't been here for ages. Even when I do come, I am still not sure what I'm supposed to do!!

There are so many kinds of "sausage rolls" here, and also meat pies. As you describe it, it sounds more like a meat pie. You could follow the recipe Joanie provided and make up the minced meat: do not try to make sausages, as that is a major job.

Our sausage rolls, as sold in just about every corner cafe, are not actually filled with "boerewors meat", but just a tasty minced meat filling baked in puff pastry. The taste differs from place to place!!

It's actually THAT simple. We're talking take-out junky food here, but well-beloved by the casual eater. I just don't know whether this girl ate maybe a very fancy type of sausage roll!

Back