RECIPE: It's winter. It's fondue time!! REC: Swiss Cheese fondue

RECIPE:

evan

Few things are more comforting than a classic Swiss cheese fondue - chunks of crusty bread swirled in bubbling cheese. Reminiscent of dinner parties of days gone by, this retro classic was invented for sharing with friends.

Serves 4

Preparation time: 15 minutes

Cooking time: 10 minutes

Ingredients

1 clove garlic, halved

350ml dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc

300g Gruyère cheese, grated

300g Emmental cheese, grated

3 tsp cornflour

2-3 tbsp Kirsch

Freshly ground black pepper

To serve

1 large baguette, cut into bite-sized cubes

Instructions

Rub the cut side of the garlic clove around the inside of your fondue pot. Discard the garlic.

Add the wine and bring it to the boil on a medium heat on the stove. Turn the heat down and add the cheese in handfuls, stirring until it melts.

Mix the cornflour with the Kirsch, and stir into the cheese. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until it is thick and creamy, then remove from the heat. Add pepper to taste.

Fondue should have a smooth, thick-sauce texture. If it is too thin, add more cheese, or stir in a little more cornflour, blended with wine. If it's too thick, stir in warmed white wine. If the fondue separates, keep stirring and it should recover. If not, add a squeeze of lemon juice or a teaspoon of cornflour dissolved in wine.

Move the pot to a burner on the table. Stirring often to keep the fondue smooth, spear the bread on fondue forks and dunk into the cheese.

Tips

A fondue needs the right cheese. Those mentioned in this recipe are the most popular, but you can use Vacherin or Appenzeller instead of the Emmental. You could also use a French Comté or Beaufort, but don't use Cheddar - it won't give the authentic, stringy texture.

Fondue sets, such as this one by Le Creuset that includes a pot, burner and forks (£61) are available from John Lewis.

It's traditional to dip bread in fondue but you could try lightly blanched broccoli and cauliflower, or crisp celery or chicory.

Try a green salad with your fondue. Other nibbles can include cornichons, silverskin pickled onions and cured meats.

The Italian version of fondue is called fonduta. It is made with Fontina cheese and egg yolks.

White wine is great with fondue, but don't serve it too cold. This can cause the fondue to solidify in the gut, leading to stomach ache.

You could try substituting half the cheese with a blue variety, or adding chopped shallots, green peppercorns or diced ham at the same time as the cheese.

(From waitrose.com)

If kids are going to eat with you, omit the kirsch and substitute the wine...

with unsweetened apple juice. You won't taste the sweetness at all but it will cut the taste of the alcohol and be much milder for the kids. I know the alcohol itself evaporates out but it always leaves an alcohol taste anyway. We do fondue regularly with our kids and they much prefer it with the apple juice.

Great idea! I will remember this when I make it next time with my nephew smileys/smile.gif (nt)

Back