1 t. ground turmeric

500 g. (1 lb 2 oz.) Green cabbage, finely shredded

1 t. salt

½ t. ground black pepper

2 t. ground cumin

1 t. ground coriander

1/4 t. chilli powder

1 oz unsalted butter

Put the onion, ginger & chilli in a food processor and chop until finely chopped but not a paste, or chop together with a knife.

Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan over low heat and gry the onion mixture until softened but not browned. Add the cumin seeds and turmeric and stir for 1 minute. Mix in the cabbage, stirring thoroughly until all the leaves are coated in the yellow paste. Add the salt, pepper, cumin, coriander and chilli powder. Stir to coat the cabbage well, then cook for 10 min. with the pan partially covered, stirring occasionally until the cabbage is soft. If the cabbage becomes to dry and starts sticking to the pan, add 1 to 2 T. water. Stir in the butter and season with salt, to taste.

My notes: I used chopped canned 'Mexican" chilis and they were just fine. This is truly foolproof food.

and another: Kheema Matar - ground lamb, Indian style

Kheema Matar

from A Little Taste of India Serves 5-6

2 onions, roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
5 cm (2 in) piece of ginger, roughly chopped
4 green chillies
160 ml (2/3 cup) oil
2 Indian bay leaves (cassia leaves)
500 g (1lb 2 oz) minced Iamb
pinch of asafoetida
2 tablespoons tomato puree
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
2 tablespoons ground coriander
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons thick plain yoghurt
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
225 g (1 = cups) fresh or frozen peas
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
5 tablespoons finely chopped coriander (cilantro)

Put the onion, garlic, ginger and two of the chillies in a food processor and process until very finely chopped. If you don't have a food processor, finely chop the ingredients or grind them together in a mortar and pestle.

Heat the oil in a karhai or heavy-based frying pan over medium heat, add the onion mixture and bay leaves and fry for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Add the Iamb mince and fry for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the meat from sticking. Break up any lumps of mince with the back of a fork. During this time, the flavours of the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli will infuse into the meat. Add the asafoetida and tomato puree, stir and lower the heat to a simmer.

Add the turmeric, chilli powder, coriander and cumin and stir for 1 minute. Add the yoghurt, salt and pepper and continue frying for 5 minutes. Add 200 ml (% cup) water, a little at a time, stirring after each addition until it is well absorbed. Add the peas and the two remaining whole chillies. Stir well, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the peas are cooked through. If using frozen peas, cook the mince and chillies for 20 minutes and add the peas 5 minutes before the end of cooking. Add the garam masala and chopped coriander and stir for 1 minute before serving.

Why Marg, thank you. I have to be a little "less" on hot.....

foods while Mum is here, she professes she can't eat various things like curry and 'uncooked' veg like spinach. I am testing the ground, so to speak, and made a salad with baby spinach leaves and steamed some to death too and she polished off both saying the salad was great, I must give her the recipe! She had no after effects.
Next stop curries and I think the cabbage will suit us for this as it is cooked veg. and I can add extra heat for us.
Thanks for the recipes.
Hugs J

I have used the lamb recipe a couple of times, it is a good recipe.....

I leave out the peas though (not keen on the feel of peas) and once I whizzed a few up in the processor....the pea flavour is alright. I don't miss having them in any dish so I do some on the side for the rest of the family...well, the one who cooks can do that, can't they?
How is everything going?
j

Funny about that lamb recipe.....

I started typing it and realized I had typed it before. I looked on Epi and I had posted it waaaaaaay back in '04. That's how long it's been since I made it. During my 'away' time, my husband did a lot of East Indian cooking for himself. He enlisted the help of an East Indian lady in a shop who directed him on various recipes he found. So we now have all these exotic spices within reach. (and now it's my turn)

I love any spicy dish, as you know. The E Indian ones are so different ot those in SA and of course

OK I dont know quite what I did but I seem to stop talking mid-sentence a lot these days too.....

The SA curries are refered to as Malay and they are sweeter and fruiter and of course the E Indian are very different to the WI curries.
I want to make curry this w-end, I'll let you know if it pans out

Joanie, if it's the same thing I do, it's hitting the Enter button with the little finger on your

right hand instead of whatever you're reaching for. Happens to me especially when I switch computers and the keyboards are so different.

Yip, I tested it...lazy finger/me. Should sit upright and hold my wrists ....

just so and not slouch and drape myself over my knees. Sometimes I come here so tired and get such a lovely lift from reading the posts...so I should stop lazy hands talking nonsense. Hugs
J

Back