Judy, I have a recipe for you: Kentucky Bourbon Cake

richard-in-cincy

Just made this for our 2009 Christmas fruitcake and had a sample of the test cake. This is absolutely the best fruit cake I have ever made. Thought you'd love this recipe for your files. This one is definitely a keeper.

Kentucky Bourbon Cake

1 pineapple

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup corn syrup

1/2 lb. candied cherries

1/2 lb. candied orange and lemon peel

1/2 lb. golden raisins

2 cups Bourbon

2 tablespoons vanilla

1 1/2 cups butter

2 cups sugar

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

6 eggs, separated

5 cups flour

3 cups pecans

2 teaspoons nutmeg

1 teaspoon mace

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 cup Bourbon

Peel and core pineapple and cut into small chunks. Combine with 2 cups sugar, corn syrup, and 1 cup water in saucepan. Bring to a simmer and simmer until pineapple is translucent and liquid is nearly evaporated, stirring ocassionally. Cool in pan, then spread out in a single layer on waxed paper to dry overnight.

Combine cherries, peel, and raisins with bourbon and vanilla. Stir and leave to sit overnight.

Next day: Preheat oven to 275F.

Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Line the bottom with waxed paper. Grease the paper.

Add 1/2 cup of the flour in a large shallow container and drop the pineapple chunks into the flour, tossing to individually coat. Add the pecans and toss so all are coated with flour. Set aside.

Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. Set aside.

Cream butter and sugars. Add nutmeg, mace, and egg yolks and beat until light and fluffy. Stir in Bourbon fruit. Add the remaining flour, baking powder, and salt and blend well. Stir in pineapple and pecans. Finally, fold in beaten egg whites.

Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 3-3.5 hours, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan.

Turn the cake out of the pan and spoon 1/2 cup of Bourbon over cake.

Store in a tightly sealed container. Douse with Bourbon as needed to keep it moist.

Note: If you like a denser fruit concentration, use 1 lb. of cherries.

Thanks Richard but I am not very fond of fruit cake (more)

I really don't care for all that candied fruit. The best I've ever tasted is from Gethsemane Farms in Bardstown, Ky.

Wow! This does looks good.

Did it really all fit into one 10" tube pan?

It looks like it would make much more than that.

Judy, I didn't use the tube pan...

I baked one large loaf and 6 smaller loaves, + 1 test cake. The test cake was so amazing, that we have since consumed one of the smaller loaves as well. LOL

I thought with the way I store these, that it would be so practical to have smaller cakes to bring out 1 at a time and not futz with a large cake. I'd also have some extra cakes to give to other fruit cake nuts.

I must say though, that while the dough looked immense in the pan, and I didn't think it would all fit into the pans I described, it fit just perfectly. I filled the pans pretty full since there isn't much rise during the baking.

This is an amazing cake recipe. Let me know if you try it and what you think. Tim was moaning in ecstasy as he was trying it, mumbling something like, "don't ever make any other fruitcake than this one" between bites. : )

Back