Looking for food ideas for a Roaring 20's themed gathering....

judy-mass

for my daughter.

The Saranac Lake Winter Carnival is early in February, and this year's theme is Roaring 20's.

Any thoughts????

Thanks in advance.

Judy, can you share...

some of your high school clothes you've saved in the back of the closet? They should fit the theme. *laugh*

Surely a gelatin salad. I have cookbook about the origin and and history of....

molded salads thru the decades. I'll look it up when I get home. was there one called Perfection salad made of shreded carrots, etc in orange jello?

1920's Food...

Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Fried Chicken
(Cream of) Tomato Soup and Saltines
Deviled Eggs
Finger Sandwiches
Celery Sticks/Olives/Nuts--required relish tray
Waldorf salad
Lettuce Salad with Thousand Island Dressing
Shirley Temples
Neapolitan Ice Cream

Follow this link to 1920's menus from the Los Angeles Public Library:
http://www.lapl.org/resources/en/menu_collection.html (type 192* in the date search field).

Sounds fun!

What fun! I dug through my 20s cookbooks and can add these to the list

Waldorf salad
Banana and nut salad
Brown bread sandwiches (that is steamed brown bread- made in cans with a nice cream cheese filling)
Creamed salmon on toast
Rice croquettes with cheese sauce
Salmon croquettes
Ham croquettes
Cheese, pickle and pea salad
Riced potatoes
Scalloped tomatoes
Swiss Steak
Baked Hamburg Steak (this is hard boiled eggs baked inside a "roll" of burger with a tomato-based sauce over it)
Scalloped everything
Chicken Fricassee
Chicken A La King (on toast points or puff pastry)
Broiled kidneys
Baked eggs in tomato sauce
Welsh Rabbit
Frozen fruit salad
Puddings of all kinds
Fritters of all kinds
Rice Fan Tan (kind of like a firm rice pudding with candied fruits, cut in strips, dipped in egg then bread crumbs and fried in butter then sprinkled with powdered sugar!)
Tapioca cream
Floating Island

I find the gelatin salad craze didn't really hit until the 30s- in the 20s boiled dressings were the rage- also fresh fruits were becoming a little easier for Mrs. Housewife (!) to find so bananas, pineapple, grapes, grapefruit, oranges were very "hot".

If you need actual recipes, let me know.

Oh this is facintating 1920s menus

Use the Los Angeles Public Library's digital menu collection to identify what was served in all types of restaurants during the 1920s.

jMake sure you enter 192* where it asks for date and then clicksubmit. Most of these menus are from California, but the food was also served in New York and other major metropolitan areas.

I just did this and found a menu with chicken ala king on toast, tomato soup and blue point cocktail.

http://www.lapl.org/resources/en/menu_collection.html

Thanks to all!

I knew you wonderful folks would come through.
I got an email from Karen saying that the links and ideas were great!
I've been having fun reading through them as well.
As for Marc, he'd best behave, or he will pay when I get to Seattle! smileys/smile.gif

Back