Loupy's Thunderbolt Potatoes

origcyn

Post by Loupy:

I got the recipe from the 1997 Southern Living Annual Recipes.

1 cup of fresh corn, cut from the cob (about 2 ears) Took 3 small ears to get one cup

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tbsp butter

4 large potatoes (about 2 3/4 lbs.) peeled

and quartered

1/2 to 3/4 cup warm milk

1 tsp salt

several grinds of pepper

2 tsp chili powder

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1 - 4.5 oz. can chopped green chilies,

undrained

Cook the cut corn and garlic in butter over medium high heat, stirring constantly, until tender; set aside.

Cook potatoes in water to cover for about 20 minutes or till tender; drain. Combine potatoes, milk and seasonings and beat with mixer till smooth. Sir in corn mixture and green chilies. Serves 4-6.

Leftover Potato Pattie: Combine 2 cups leftover potatoes, 1 large egg and 2 tbsp. flour. Shape into 8 patties and dredge in 1/2 cup cornmeal. Cook patties in 1/2 cup of hot oil till golden, turning once.

My notes: I really didn't understand cooking the corn over med. hi heat till tender, because it's tender to start with. I think it needs only a minimum of time for this step, just till the garlic is ready, which is about 1 minute or so. I also think the potatoes need more butter - just wasn't quite rich enough - or use cream instead of milk. Mine also needed more salt. Since I go light on chili powder and peppers, this was about right for me. I used the mild chilies. When the chili powder is added, the potatoes turn kind of a terra cotta color.

Back