Making Tempura for the FIRST time tonight. Very exciting. Anyone done it before?

Yeppers

I made tempura a couple of years ago.
I don't remember the exact recipe anymore but it tasted AWESOME!

We used sweet'n sour dip, and it was so good!
Thank you for reminding me - I would love to make it again smileys/smile.gif))

Question, just washed my new fryer thermometer. Now rethinking which pot to make the tempura in....

I was going to use my wok, but then I'd have to lay the thermometer in there(the clips too high up to be any use. I wonder if theres a difference in using a large wide mouthed stock pot vs. wok?
Muse

Do you have an electric skillet?

Makes it very easy to keep the temp regular. Or do you have any sort of fondue pan?

This was alot simpler to make than I anticipated...

I was so intimidated using that much oil, but it was very simple.

1. Easy batter

1 large egg, chilled
3/4 cup ice water
capful sake
¾ cup all purpose flour + 2 tablespoons
¼ cup rice flour, or rice ground in a spice grinder or blender I read that cutting the flour with 20% rice or corn flour will make it less greasy/more crispy by keeping the batter from absorbing oil.

Beat egg and beat into water.
Using this little bit of rice flour or even corn flour, I didn’t have either so I’mmaking my own rice flour in my spice grinder. It smelled like cumin so I ran some rice through to clean it before the batch for the tempura. Cutting flour with rice or corn flour will allow less of the oil to be absorbed. That and oil at the proper temperature should do it.
Using a chopsticks or a fork gently blend in flour, until just combined, small lump are ok.

2. Prepped vegetables. I used Kabocha squash(traditional Japanese pumpkin), yam, snow peas, left whole parsley, cilantro, red pepper, Japanese eggplant, zucchini, green onions cut into 3 inch pieces(this was delicious). I nuked the halved seeded kabocha and whole sweet potato for 3-6 min. to soften up just a bit.

3. Heat oil to 365 degrees using my new toy, a candy/fry thermometer.

4. Then it was just a matter of dredging pieces lightly in flour, dipping into batter and sliding into the oil.

My favorites were the snow peas, scallions, sweet potato, kabocha, and zucchini. I didn’t think the eggplant had much flavor, the cilantro(which I usually love) was just weird and soapy tasting. I found that if I left them in too long and they were very brown although they were crispier the flavor wasn’t good. The vegetable just tasted like toasted batter. I think I’d like to try this with some corn meal cutting the flour and offering a little more texture to the coating.

I served it with a great dipping sauce I use for everything.

Dipping Sauce

¼ cup mirin
Soy sauce
Hot asian chili sauce

Mix soy sauce and hot sauce into dipping bowl of mirin to taste

The house does spell like a fryolater.

May I suggest a dose of Febreeze after making tempura?>>>

I make it once in a while (my trick is using soda water instead of regular H2O). But the problem is that my apartment always smells like a tempura house for a few days! the hazards of city living in these old places. So, I really recommend a squirt or two of Febreeze on curtains and rugs after cooking and it helps with this problem.

Don't forget to try soft shell crabs when they are in season -oh so good (but they splatter a lot). and my favorite veggie is green beans.

Back