Marilyn, did you ever find Pat Ashley Howard’s gingerbread recipe because here it is

mariadnoca

Yes, I am looking at past posts because I’m toying with the idea of making a gingerbread house. Having read your posts throughout the years, I’m thinking this is a completely foolish idea, but then I went down that rabbit hole Martha Stewart haunted mansion and Downton Abbey gingerbread house. Even though I know better, part of me foolishly thinks, but I can’t really be that difficult can it? I laugh even when I think that in my head. Anyway, in a past thread I saw you asking for this I didn’t look any like anybody posted a reply, but it since looks like it’s free from her website. I don’t think my KitchenAid would hold 13 cups of flour.

And here’s her gingerbread clay recipe which it sounds like she’s famous for

No, I did not! Thank you. These are both excellent references. The Wicked Goodies recipe would be considered "edible" by my personal standards, as it includes eggs and butter. Since my houses are always on display for over a month and NOT edible, I don't use any rising agents...plus I hot-glue sheets of gingerbread to a fibercore house frame. I highly suggest using that method if you are thinking about making a display house...versus one that will be eaten. She has excellent advice on how to keep the sheets of gingerbread flat...and I liked how she showed embossing and overlays

Bizarrely enough, I have all the weird ingredients called for in the Pat Ashley Howard's concept: Ginger Clay, as written in the craftcrib link. The reasons they are using these ingredients are because certain GBH contest require 100% edible ingredients.
2 Tablespoons Gum Arabic
4 Tablespoons Tylose Powder

wickedgoodies also has a link for construction-grade that is similar to the one I use (the recipe I use is attached).
I've also attached three photos of my GBH in progress:

from foam core model:
IMG_6467 2.JPG

to partially finished...
IMG_2709.JPG

to final delivery version:
IMG_4365.JPG

Let me know if you need any help.

Attachments

• Construction GBH Dough.pdf
    38.9 KB · Views: 3
I have no idea if I will attempt this insanity, but the foam core idea is spot on. For some reason I’m sort of craving the idea of the gbh smell during the holidays. The fairmont hotel in San Francisco covers their entire huge lobby in gingerbread and the smell is amazing. Plus, I seem to think…wouldn’t a big gbh look cool in my front window? The answer to both would be yes, the actual creating, seems like a crazy idea that I should start tomorrow if I want to be done by the holidays. Just getting an actual tree would be easier. I have no idea why I’m bursting with holiday spirits this year. I know my ideas are bigger than the stamina of my feet, lol!

I just bought these cookie stamps because Halloween is right around the corner…and I can’t wait.

They don’t say. There are recipes from nordicware for both vanilla and chocolate versions, but I’m assuming they painted them with food coloring. I’ve done that with mold type cookies in the past. One could maybe press in the chocolate version and top with vanilla too, but I’ve never tried it. I will be experimenting!

Marilyn, that gingerbread house with the ice-cream-cone chimney is so cute as well as your white-chocolate(?) shell roof tiles, and the steps at the front door are genius! You are exceptionally creative.

Back