Meryl, Help. I made the Orange Marmalade Butter Cake but

barb

when I took it out of the bundt pan it fell into about 10 pieces. I am wondering what I did wrong? I followed the recipe exactly, do you think it might require more than two eggs? The batter was very stiff when I put in in the bundt pan. I used 3/4 cup of orange juice, but not fresh like you said you used.

Wow - that's strange - I've never heard that before. Many, many people have made this cake,

and it's come out perfectly each time. I personally have made it at least 3 times, and have had no problems whatsoever. I really don't understand what could have gone wrong. Are you sure it was cooked all the way through?

It didn't raise much in the pan (silicone) but we ate some of the

pieces and it was delicious. I would like to try it again but just wanted to check with you about the eggs. I thought the batter was very thick, too. Thanks for your quick reply. I will let you know how the 2nd one comes out.

Barb, I checked out some tips from the Internet - maybe they will help>>>

Also, this cake is not a high-riser, so your results were fine on that end.

I always use a tube pan for cakes that call for a tube or bundt, but I know many people in general have trouble getting cakes out of bundt pans (that's probably why I avoid them. LOL). I hadn't heard of any problems with this particular cake, however, until now. I've also heard mixed opinions on silicone pans, ie, they may bake unevenly, etc. Have you used that pan before?

I'm so sorry the cake fell apart, but I'm glad you liked the taste! Anyway, here are some things to consider:

"...don't let the cakes cool as long as the directions say - five minutes is plenty. If they cool too long, they may stick and break apart, even with baking spray coating the pan."

From:http://busycooks.about.com/od/howtobake/a/bundtcake.htm

"Part of the trick is to prepare the pans in a certain way: with equal parts of shortening, oil and flour, and use a pastry brush to apply it; get every nook and cranny but not so much that when the cake comes out it has white flour on it in spots.

The other part of the trick is to do certain things when unmolding:

(1) Just before the Bundt cake is through baking, place a folded bath towel in the sink and saturate it with steaming hot water. Keep the towel in the sink;
(2) When the cake comes out of the oven, Immediately set it on top of the towel, pan side down, and leave it for ten seconds; and,
(3) Immediately invert the cake onto a cooling rack. The cake will come out clean and whole without sticking. Be careful because cakes are very delicate when hot and can break apart easily. If the cake starts to break apart, leave it in its pan to cool for 20 minutes and try to unmold, again."

Thank you very much for helping me with these tips. I will take

each one into consideration when I make the second cake. My husband has practically finished eating the whole cake and says I need to make another one soon. It is very good! (he says it's nice to have it already in chunks so he doesn't have to cut it smileys/smile.gif
I really appreciate your help, Meryl.

You're welcome! This is my husband's favorite non-chocolate cake, without a doubt...

and one of my favorites, also.... Good luck with the next one, and let me know how it turns out!

Back