Meryl, I made your cinnamon quick bread --

miainmd

I substituted some applesauce for the eggs (my son has an egg allergy) -- and it turned out yummy and moist! Thank you.

MIa, I never would have thought of replacing eggs with applesauce. I always thought

applesauce was for replacing oil, so it's good to know it works well as an egg sub also. Glad to hear the bread came out great!

My son has all these food allergies, chief among them being egg -- which is in everything! More ...

So we've been experimenting with replacing eggs in recipes. Sometimes, it works. Sometimes, it is a disaster. In one of Paula Deen's cookbooks, she listed "2T corn oil and 1T water" as a replacement for one egg. We've found that works really well -- or in recipes which already have applesauce or banana, I just add a little extra fruit. We've also tried EnerG egg replacement, but like the applesauce or banana or oil replacement better. The applesauce worked great in your recipe!

Well, I'm glad the applesauce worked out well this time. It's such a great

recipe, it would have been a shame if the applesauce hadn't worked! I guess it's a real challenge as far as cakes are concerned, although there are some good ones that don't use eggs. Apparently, one of them is the Crazy Chocolate Cake, which was made a lot during WWII when everything was rationed. It's both egg-free and dairy-free.

Meryl, it's a wonderful chocolate cake!

My mom was a vegetarian and tweaked it to banana cake/bread. (she baked it in loaves and a bundt)

Awesome!!

Mia, I'd be happy to post if you are interested.

Gayle, I know there are several versions out there, but they're all

pretty close - the cocoa powder amounts vary a little. But regardless, they all seem to get great reviews. Why don't you post yours?

REC: Mother's Banana Bread - no eggs, no dairy

This is a dense, moist banana bread. It's better the day after and keeps in the fridge a long time and freezer even longer. If you are looking for a cake-like banana bread, choose another recipe.
This one is sooo good!

I'll post the choc cake later. Have to dig the recipe out and I'm off for the day!

Banana Bread

3 c flour
2 c sugar (or 1.5 cups - you can use less if you have very ripe banana)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
3/4 c oil (I use canola)
3 Tbs vinegar
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 - 2 cups ripe mashed banana
1/2 c water
1/2 c chopped nuts (I use pecans or walnuts)

Sift dry ingredients mixing bowl then add remaining ingredients. Blend with wire whip. (don't use mixer) Pour into 2 prepared loaf pans or a bundt pan. Bake 350 degrees about an hour or until tests done.
We frost the bundt pan with cream cheese frosting, and top with nuts.

Back