Mexican Chocolate Pound Cake

amanda_pennsylvania

I clipped this from the Chicago Tribune, which attributed it to the "Indian Market Cookbook" by Mark Miller. My tweaks are in parentheses.

Mexican Chocolate Pound Cake

3 eggs

2/3 cup milk

3 tablespoons water

1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract

3/4 cup good-quality cocoa powder (I've used Hershey Special Dark, Droste, and Scharffen-Berger)

2 cups sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup (2 sticks) butter

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

2. Grease and flour (I use cocoa powder) a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan. (I use a bundt pan--it bakes more evenly and the shape is lovely.)

3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, water, and vanilla. Sift together the cocoa, sugar, salt, baking powder, and flour into the large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. (I just use my handheld mixer.)

4. Mix in the butter and half of the liquid ingredients, and when moistened, increase the mixing speed to medium-high. Beat together for 2 minutes, turn down the speed to low and add the remaining liquid, stirring until incorporated.

5. Pour into pan, and bake 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until a toothpick inserted in comes out clean. Remove from the pan and let cool on a wire rack. Slice and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.

Chocolate Ganache Glaze

(This is not part of Mark Miller's recipe, but I've started using it with this pound cake. I believe it originally came from PegW of Gail's Recipe Swap.)

1 cup whipping cream

6 oz semi-sweet chocolate

Heat cream in heavy saucepan until just below a boil. Add chocolate and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until it is totally melted and completely merged with the cream. Cool until very warm but not hot, and pour over cooled cake generously, letting it drip attractively down the sides.

If you cover the cake completely with the glaze, it will stay moist longer. This glaze thickens as it gets cold. If you want it to set quickly, refrigerate for 30 minutes. This glaze can also be used to sandwich cookies or as a cake filling. Keeps well at room temperature.

Back