Michael, we made Dad's Buttermilk waffles this morning and they were to DIE FOR. My hubby commented

miainmd

that it now ranks up there with his all-time favorite meals! Thank you for an awesome recipe addition to our breakfast foods file! I've frozen (other recipe) waffles before and then just toasted them straight out of the freezer. I'm assuming I can make more of these and freeze them -- or will it ruin them?

My boys toast the frozen ones all the time. I've never had them frozen.(m)

I usually leave them for the kids. They love 'em.

Glad you enjoyed them. We really do!

Michael

Michael, have you ever made with freshly milled whole wheat flour?

I'm working on getting the processed junk out of my diet and am pulling out my flour mill. I have a 50 lb bucket of Prairie Gold wheat berries. smileys/smile.gif

Anyone else mill flour?

I haven't made waffles but. . .

I mill flour for bread in my Vitamixer. I just made a 5 loaf batch and I let the batter with just the whole wheat, flour, oil, salt, water, potatoes and yeast ferment for about 24 hours. I then made bread, adding white flour till it made a damp lightly sticky dough and boy, is that bread good! I am using some hard white wheat; I don't know the brand, but freshly ground wheat is totally different than the whole wheat flour you get in the stores.

If you make waffles, put the batter on the night before (or at least a couple of hours before cooking) so the whole wheat can absorb moisture more fully. I feel you will get a much nicer product.

Thanks ladies. My fil has a vita-mix. Maybe I'll try to grind some...

...flour next time I'm in San Diego.

In the meantime, I'll have to try the whole wheat in the waffle recipe. Do you have to 'up' the liquid to account for the whole wheat?

Michael

Michael, just remember that you really want to use that flour when it's freshly ground

for optimum health and goodness! The wheat berries are still 'alive' and supposedly the best health benefit comes with 48 hours of grinding.

Mistral, mine is hard white winter wheat (Prairie Gold) from Wheat Montana. It's wonderful!

Try this the next time you make waffles

My mother always made waffles this way. When she poured the batter into the waffle iron she laid 2 uncooked pieces of bacon over the waffles. The bacon cooked while the waffles cooked, no too much fat with just two pieces of bacon and wow, what a taste.

Back