Moyn or anyone - HELP QUICK - Latke -no matzo meal, no time....

music-city-missy

to go to the grocery at this point. Just went into the pantry and no matzo meal like I thought I had - not sure what happened to it. Should I just go without it or is there anything I can substitute for it? I've never made them without the matzo meal and don't know how they will turn out.

I had these great mini latke with a piece of smoked salmon on them with a little star of cream cheese with seasonings in them and was going to do them quickly for a party this afternoon.

Flour / potato starch?

Folks on chabad.org use flour...

Not a latke expert, by any means; sorry!

Nearly every restaurant here offers giant latkes, "bramboraky". smileys/smile.gif

Recipe: Potato Latke..... My father's recipe Easy & Enjoy

Preheat oven 250º

Ingredients:

2 ½ pounds baking potatoes, peeled
1 medium onion, julienned
2 eggs
¼ teaspoon baking powder
2 TABLESPOONS sifted flour
vegetable oil, for frying
1 cup applesauce
1 cup sour cream

Spices to taste:

Salt
White pepper
Black pepper

Step 1

Squeeze each potato, as much as possible, for the potato juice, and if possible, reserve juice in small bowl. Using a hand grater (can use food processor), grate the potatoes. See Helpful Hint

Step 2

In a large bowl, combine the grated potatoes, julienned onions, eggs, baking powder and sifted flour. Mix together. Mix after each new ingredient is added to bowl. Add, if any, potato juice and mix. See Helpful Hint

Step 3

Season the potato Latke mixture with spices to taste, to your taste. Mix together.

Step 4

In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cover the bottom with ½ inch of oil. When the oil is hot, using a spoon, spoon 2 TABLESPOONS of the filling into individual cakes. Using the back of the spoon, flatten each pancake. Pan-fry until golden brown on each side, out 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Fry the cakes in batches and do not over crowd in pan.

Step 5

As you are making the batches of potato latkes, put completed pancakes on an oven usable plate and place completed potato pancakes in 250º oven to keep warm until finished with all pancakes.

Step 6

To serve, place a dollop of the applesauce or sour cream in the center of each potato cake. Serve warm.

HELPFUL HINT:
I USE A POTATO RICER TO SQEEZE THE JUICE FROM THE POTATO AND ONION (celery & onion too)

Moyn, I never use Matzo meal OR flour, I make them the way my Nana did,

hand grated potatoes, grated onion, salt, pepper eggs, and a tiny grating of nutmeg- Fry till you can't wait any longer to taste them!!!!

Oh, how I wish I had her brisket and latkes tonite!!!

Thanks everyone - they were the hit of the party! Here's the 'recipe'

if you can call it that - more of a concept. They served these as passed appetizers the other night at an ACF meeting and I loved them so I just had to try making them myself.

Make a cream cheese mixture - I beat cream cheese with a little sour cream to thin (plus sour cream goes with potato pancakes), add VERY finely minced shallots and capers to taste and add some finely grated lemon peel. Mix and chill to blend flavors and firm it all up.
Make potato pancakes very thin and the size of about a silver dollar. Top with a very thin slice of smoked salmon cut or torn to fit the size of the pancake. Pipe a small star or rosette on the top and arrange on a platter.

While they were definitely a hit, here are things I will do differently next time:

I didn't have time to chill my cream cheese mixture and it was not perfected - didn't have the stuff chopped finely enough to pipe through a decorating star tip (about a 17 or maybe as large as a 21 - her rosettes were TINY) so I can't tell if the sour cream thinned it too much, too much juice from the capers or just not enough chill time. Plus it would have been much better if the flavors had more time to come together.

My pancakes were too thick and too large. Make sure you really flatten them quickly as you add them to the pan so they are really flat - that way they stay crispy when they cool down. Here's were almost like just grated potatoes with some chopped parsley so I question whether she used egg, flour or anything as a binder.

I've made them with just grated potato. they sound really good Missy, thanks smileys/smile.gif

Back