My peanut butter cookie recipe needs help

miainmd

The flavor was good, but they spread out too thin and I couldn't get a bunch of them off the cookie sheet -- they stuck so bad. What could I change? Does anyone have a tried and true peanut butter cookie recipe?

My Flawed Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe

1 egg

1 cup sugar (I used brown)

1 cup chunky peanut butter (I used Skippy)

hershey kisses, unwrapped

Mix the 3 ingredients and place on ungreased cookie sheet in little balls.

Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Then take the cookies out and place an unwrapped chocolate

kiss on each one. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

The cookies spread out too much. Next time, I'll have to chill the dough after mixing and before

baking. I didn't do that and so many of the cookies were unsalvageable (but my hubby and daughter had a field day finishing the rejects).

I use a similar recipe, except with natural peanut butter and only 1/2 cup sugar (white), and press

them gently with a fork to make a crisscross pattern. I haven't had a problem with their spreading too much, so I don't know why it happened with yours. Maybe you should try chilling them first as you mentioned.

Hey Marg, flourless peanut butter cookies are great -I find them to have a more peanut-buttery taste

REC: Big, Super-Nutty Peanut Butter Cookies. These are the best I've ever had, and...

...I make them at Christmas each year, and for my friend who loves them any time of the year.

BIG, SUPER-NUTTY PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

Makes approximately 3 dozen cookies

Bringing the butter, peanut butter, and eggs to room temperature makes it easier to blend the ingredients. Be sure to grind the peanuts, since whole, and even chopped peanuts tend to slip out of the dough. If using unsalted butter, increase salt to 1 teaspoon. Keep finished cookies refrigerated in airtight container. To restore just-baked chewiness, wrap a cookie in a sheet of paper towel and microwave for approximately 25 seconds. Cool before serving.

2 1/2 cups (12 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound butter (2 sticks), salted
1 cup (7 ounces) firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
1 cup extra-crunchy peanut butter, preferably Jif
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup roasted salted peanuts, ground in food processor to resemble bread crumbs, about 14 pulses (about 1 cup, packed)

1. Adjust oven rack to low center position; heat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl.

2. In bowl of electric mixer or by hand, beat butter until creamy. Add sugars; beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes with electric mixer, stopping to scrape down bowl as necessary. Beat in peanut butter until fully incorporated, then eggs, one at a time, then vanilla. Gently stir dry ingredients into peanut butter mixture. Add ground peanuts; stir gently until just incorporated.

3. Working with 2 tablespoons dough at a time, roll into large balls, placing them 2 inches apart on a parchment-covered cookie sheet. Press each dough ball with back of dinner fork dipped in cold water to make crisscross design. Bake until cookies are puffed and slightly brown along edges, but not top, 10 to 12 minutes (they will not look fully baked). Cool cookies on cookie sheet until set, about 4 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Cookies will keep, refrigerated in an airtight container, up to 7 days.

From Cook's Illustrated

Enjoy!

Michael

I think the problem is the brown sugar.

it has more moisture than white and therefore may have resulted in a mix that was too loose. Try sticking to white sugar.

Don't know if it will help but here is the recipe we use. these don't spread much at all.

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
2 cups sugar
2 cups peanut butter
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients together and roll into 1-inch balls. Flatten with fork to get criss-cross pattern on cookie dough.

Bake at 350 degrees F for about 8 minutes.

This one's my T&T.... closest to my childhood memories and very peanutbuttery smileys/smile.gif

Aunt Patty’s Peanut Butter Cookies

3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/2 cups peanut butter
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup chopped peanuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350 deg.
Cream first 5 ingredients; mix in egg. Add dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Roll dough into balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Using a fork dipped in sugar, press down on cookie ball to make a cross-hatch pattern. Cookies will expand about 1/2”, so leave enough room. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts if desired. Bake 7-10 min. until beginning to turn golden. They will be a little soft, but will firm up on cooling. Cool on wire racks.
Note: this dough freezes very well and can be baked without thawing.

Can't beat more pbuttery. Got me another jar & I'll try them when I return. I'm surprised that

they don't run all over the oven.

How do we all deal with the guilt when eating all this fat and sugar? I will eat 10 cookies at a time and be back for more in an hour. I really shouldn't even be thinking about making more.

BAD

Thanks DarylGA! I made them with white sugar and had no problems! Michael's recipe (and now

cheezz') are on my to try list. Thanks!

Hi Mia - here's one more for you to try - REC Peanut Butter Filled Peanut Butter Cookies

I combined two recipes to come up with this one. I liked the recipe for one cookie, and used an idea from another cookie to include the filling.

The peanut butter filling really helps to make it peanut-buttery smileys/smile.gif

Peanut Butter Filled Peanut Butter Cookies
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup peanut butter (1/2 an 18oz jar)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Extra peanut butter, for filling cookies (about 3/4 cup or so)

Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together into a medium bowl, set aside.

Cream butter and both sugars. Add peanut butter and blend. Add eggs and vanilla, mix until well blended.

Add sifted dry ingredients, and stir just until flour is incorporated.

Divide dough into thirds, and roll each portion in waxed paper, forming a log about 2” in diameter. Refrigerate until firm (at least 2 hours or overnight).

Place extra peanut butter into a ziploc bag, and cut off a very small corner.

Slice rolls into thin slices, and place on cookie sheet, about 2” apart. Squeeze a small amount of peanut butter onto each slice, then top with another slice of dough. Set aside for a couple of minutes, until the dough softens a bit.

Make criss crosses on each cookie with a fork dipped in sugar.

Bake at 350º for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown all over.

You can also make the cookies without the peanut butter filling – just make the slices thicker.

Or you can also use the dough to make drop cookies without the filling.

Back