My thanks to everyone who weighed in on celery root (celeriac). I tried it as a puree and yes, it's

marilynfl

very good.

I picked up a book at the library called Curate, noticing the similarity to a famous tapas bar in Asheville.

So, yes...a bit slow on the uptake. Curate IS the new cookbook for the restaurant, owned and chef'd by James Beard finalist Katie Button and her husband Felix, both of whom worked at el Bulli near Bilboa, Spain.

Yep. That el Bulli.

Anyway, she included a celery root puree that is served under a roasted cauliflower and Brussel sprout dish. I found the cauliflower recipe online, so I just copied it over with my added notes.

Enjoy and thanks again for urging me on to a new favorite food.

Home

Last edited:
Sauteed Bread Crumbs with Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts

Migas Verduras

Serves 4 to 6 as a small plate

Ingredients:

1/2 cup raisins
1/2 large (3-pound) cauliflower
1/4 cup plus 5 teaspoons blended oil, divided
Kosher salt
1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in halves
One 5-inch piece baguette, crusts removed, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 cup)
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 lemon

Directions

1. Position racks In the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 400F. Put the raisins in a small microwave-safe bowl and add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Microwave for 1 minute, then let stand in the hot water until very plumped and tender. Drain well.

2. Cut the cauliflower florets o the stalks; discard the stalks. Cut the florets into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces. You want to use all of the florets, even the crumbs. You should end up with 2 cups.

3. Line 2 half-sheet pans with foil. Toss the cauliflower with 3 teaspoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt on one pan. Spread in a single layer. Repeat with the Brussels sprouts on the other pan with 2 teaspoons oil and 1â„4 teaspoon salt. Turn all the sprouts cut-sides down. Place the Brussels sprouts on the lower oven rack and the cauliflower on the upper rack. Roast until tender and dark golden brown, about 30 minutes.

4. Place a paper towel-lined plate and slotted spoon next to the stovetop. Heat the remaining 1/4 cup oil in a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet over high heat until hot. When you drop a bread cube in, it should sizzle immediately. Add the bread cubes and spread in an even layer. Toss in the oil to evenly coat, then sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, tossing frequently, until golden brown on most sides and crispy, about 3 minutes. Transfer to the paper towel-lined plate with the slotted spoon to drain.

5. Return the skillet to medium-high heat. There should still be a thin lm of oil in the bot- tom of the pan. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and just starting to turn golden brown, about 1 minute. Don’t let the garlic burn.

6. Lift the foil with the sprouts and cauliflower to dump them into the skillet. Add the raisins and bread cubes. Cook, stirring, until well mixed, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and zest half of the lemon on top. Toss once more and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Taste and add more salt if you’d like.

Marilyn's Note: I didn't do the breaded crumb step because I had a BUNCH of flat, crispy uber-buttery croissants ready to go. All I had to do was smash them with a rolling pin. I also couldn't find my white raisins in the mess of moving my life stuff and used instead a jar of dried cranberries and toasted almond slivers that I could find. I didn't even bother softening them because they were soft enough already.

I also didn't follow her amount of salt. Just added my own to taste.

The Dish: Katie Button

Last edited:
Celery Root Puree

Recipe adapted from CURATE by Katie Button

1 large celery root (1.5 pounds), trimmed, peeled and cut into 1/2" dice
1 large clove garlic, smashed
6 sprigs thyme
1 cup half-and-half
1 cup whole milk
4 TBL butter
2/3 C 2% plain Greek yogurt , room temp
1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice
1.5 tsp kosher salt

Bring celery, milks & thyme to boil, then low simmer for 25 minutes. Fork test should make a piece fall apart in two.

Immediately transfer to blender, puree, then add butter and process until very smooth. Then add yogurt, lemon juice and salt.
Serve hot.

Makes 3 cups.

Marilyn's Notes: Okay...I pretty much looked at this recipe and then did my own thing. Since I had never had this vegetable before (and it was $3.98 a piece), I hedged my bet and added two small Yukon Gold potatoes to the two roots I bought (two were still less than 1.5 pounds).

Cooked the potatoes separately since I wasn't sure how long the celery root would take to soften.

I only had fat-free half-and-half and used that, added the cooked potatoes to the finished root milk mixture, let it cool and tossed it in the refrigerator for a day.

When I was ready for the meal, I started the cauliflower and Brussel sprouts, then warmed up the celery and potato mixture in the microwave. Buzzed it in the Vitamix. It seemed a bit thin (could be the fake half-and-half didn't reduce like the real stuff would). That just meant I didn't add as much butter and only used a heaping scoop of the yogurt so it wouldn't thin out even more.

I seasoned to taste, adding more lemon juice and far less salt.

Man, do those two dishes work well together. I was scraping the edge of my bowl.

that sounds awesome

Roasted cauliflower is one of my favorite things (imagine me using my Julie Andrews singing voice) as are Brussels Sprouts

I looked for celery root again in the supermarket a couple days back and they didn't have it. I have to get it at the local market where everything is REALLY expensive.

I made a 10-vegetable stew last Monday, using celery root along with, oddly enough...

...9 other vegetables. It was a CI recipe, with a lot of prep, as you would imagine.

It was okay, not great, and I probably wouldn't make it again.

The celery root was definitely my favorite part of the dish.

Michael

Do you have a Sprouts market near you, Paul? The 3

Sprouts Farmers Markets I've been to here in the East Bay all carry it. Perhaps yours will have it too, might be worth a call?

closest Sprouts is in Petaluma

go there infrequently and was pretty annoyed by the staff there last time who were both rude and clueless so I have no intention of going back.

But we have Whole Foods and a local called Oliver's. I went to Oliver's today and the celery root was less expensive than last time. $0.99/lb non-organic, so I picked up two.

That's a nice price. It was $2.99/lb. today at

Sprouts but I realized when I got home the clerk only charged me $1.99/lb. Glad you found some.

That IS a great price. I wonder if mine were $3.98/lb and not per?

I do know $3.98 is correct because the check out girl had not clue what she had in her hand, so I saw the price pop up when she looked it up.

She also didn't know what lemongrass was, thought cilantro was parsley and couldn't figure out the orange and yellow beets.

Back