NFR: Setting the privacy settings on VENMO app

marilynfl

This was in an article today in the NYTimes, regarding personal information being captured by VENMO and Amazon (ALEXA) with the possibility that the data may be viewed by the public.

"Both companies responded to these startling violations of privacy by suggesting that the burden to keep this information from going public was on users, who could, they said, opt out of devices’ default settings to ensure privacy. This is often the standard industry response.

Even if you’re aware of these problems, how easy is it to protect your privacy? Chen helpfully shared instructions for opting out of Venmo’s public disclosures.

“Inside the app, click on the Me tab, tap the settings icon and select Privacy. Under default privacy settings, select Private,” he explained. “Then, under the ‘More’ section in Privacy, click ‘Past Transactions’ and make sure to set that to ‘Change All to Private.’”

Last edited:
It’s good to be diligent on these type of things. My own insurance company tried to trick me into an opt in to deal with them via email after I was hit by a red light runner. When I called to complain they said, most people just click ok and don’t read it. So, for the privilege of using email with them, I had to agree to allow them to sell my personal information to third parties. Then when I said no, they said, okaaay but, there may be a delay in processing my claim since I was forcing them to do everything by snail mail. Suffice to say they got a an earful.

Back