Non-stick tip from baking class...anyone else ever used this method? (m)

scarlett

Enthusiast Member
I took a class last week and the instructor gave us a tip. She said she learned this method from bread bakers, but I'd never heard of it. Okay...for greasing pans that absolutely will not stick, she uses:

1 tbsp. liquid lecithin (found in health food stores)

2 tbsp. bland oil (vegetable or canola)

She gave out samples in a small little squeeze bottle. I haven't used it yet but I'm exited to use it. She illustrated her point about non-stick on an intricately cut bundt pan. It was truly impressive!

A couple things to note:

- Once you open the lecithin, store in the refrigerator

- The lecithin bottle she showed us has a recipe for nonstick. The instructor said she found her version worked better.

I have friends who grind wheat and bake all their bread...

And they use this method. I've never tried it but I think it's pretty common with the home milling/baking crowd.

Do you think this would this work for "sticky" cookies as well?

I make some Florentines that are wonderful but are very tricky to get off the cookie sheets.

I don't know but you could try it on a couple to test it out...

If you do, would you let us know for future reference? Thx

Yes, I've used this method (long)

I've used this method for many years which made me think wayyyy back and feel verrrry old! LOL Pan-sprays are generally lecithin, an oil, and then chemicals (that act as expellers & homogenizers). Due from the chemicals? or inhaling any of the small molecule spray? it sent me into coughing fits (asthma) so I switched to homemade nearly 15? 20? years ago. I also know a couple full-time professionals who, due to constant coughing, were advised to switch to the homemade version and their coughing ceased. Anecdotal, of course, but worth noting I figure. So I buy pure lecithin (health food store, drugstore, organically-inclined grocery chains), mix it with oil (I agree with scarlett's instructor about proportions), but then I put it into one of those pump sprayers marketed for use with oils in low-fat cooking. Voila, homemade pan spray, no chemicals. The spread works fine too, I tend to use that method when I'm making wedding cakes, to make sure I've gotten every bit of the pan.

And you know I started using Silpats when they arrived on the market but, given how quickly they show wear spots (exposing the fiberglass mesh, another health concern) even when you're not using any sharp objects on them, I find I'm switching back to the older methods!

Best wishes,

Back