Nothing earth-shattering here but this certainly is tasty. I got a bunch of strawberries at a huge sale price so had to deal with them.

Marg CDN

I cut them up, cooked them with sugar, mixed in some soaked gelatin and sent them to the frig for an hour. I then just used my hand-mixer to chop them and added about 2-3 t. of raspberry vinegar. This is particularly spectacular local product. "Canadian wild raspberries in white balsamic vinegar". I had been using it with salads but it sure woke up the fruits. I then added heavy cream. The cream thickened easily and the result was so delightful and easy to make that I have made it 3 times in the last 4 days, using different fruits, but all with the vinegar. So a quick and wonderful mousse in an attractive glass vessel that looks like a major effort, took all of about 4 minutes of active work but it's the special vinegar that makes it. Dinner guests have been in awe.

I used to buy rasp vinegar in Paris and have not found a commercial one here that is wonderful, other than this. If anyone knows of a brand, I would like to try it as this other is not always available. (they also do an outstanding peach version)

I’m betting the fruit there is making it taste better. Loved the fruit, wine, bread & seafood in Canada.

Hell, I just loved everything aboutCanada.

Sounds Delish! Is the vinegar the Presidents Choice Brand? I lived in Toronto for about 4 years (30 years ago) and every trip back includes shopping for President Choice products.

No but I sure agree on PC products. We don't get as many here as we did in Toronto. They do so many productions just right. It's a local company that does it all here. It is very intense in flavour, unlike many of its cousins. Just so much a superior product, in fact, I think even better than the famed French Fauchon Rasp Vinegar.

BTW the PC company is being boycotted across the country starting May 1, for price gouging. It will be interesting to see if the efforts result in any changes. The company sure knows about all the complaints. I find that some supermarkets here still try to provide reasonable pricing while others are just carried away with themselves.

Last edited:
I went to sleep last night thinking about PC's escargot in individual choux last night. Oh how I miss those.
And I am now awake and can't stop thinking about them. The term: Escargots en Brioche came into my head. PC does not seem to make them now but looks like everyone else is. I just don't have enough friends who are adventurous and can you believe....eat escargots. Oooooh, so good.

Back