marilynfl

INGREDIENTS
Yield: 2 to 3 servings

2 (1- to 1½-inch-thick) bone-in pork rib chops, patted very dry
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
Salt
water
¼ cup whiskey or apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons unsulphured molasses (see Tip)
1 tablespoon neutral oil, such as canola or grapeseed
1 (2-inch) piece ginger, thinly sliced and smashed, plus 1 teaspoon peeled and finely grated
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

PREPARATION
Step 1 Coat the pork chops with 1 teaspoon brown sugar, and sprinkle generously with salt. In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, stir together 3 tablespoons water, the remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar, whiskey and molasses. Season with salt.

Step 2 In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium. Add the pork chops and cook, flipping every 2 minutes, until browned on the outside and the internal temperature in the thickest part is 110 to 120 degrees, 8 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat if sugar is burning. If your chops have a fat cap, using tongs, stack both chops on top of each other, then grab both chops together and hold upright to sear the fat caps until crisp, about 1 minute.

Step 3 Lay the chops back down in a single layer and top with the sliced ginger. Add the butter, tilt the skillet and baste the pork by spooning the melting butter and drippings over the pork until the internal temperature registers 135 degrees, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and transfer the pork and ginger to a plate to rest for at least 5 minutes. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat.

Step 4 Pour the molasses mixture into the skillet. Bring to a simmer over medium, standing back as it might sputter or flame. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce resembles maple syrup and coats a spoon, 3 to 5 minutes. It can be tempting to crank the heat, but don’t, or the sauce risks tightening or burning. If your sauce gets too thick, thin with water. Turn off heat and stir in the grated ginger.

Step 5 Discard the sliced ginger and stir resting juices into the sauce. Serve the pork chops with a spoonful of the sauce.

Tip When shopping, look for unsulphured molasses. For this recipe, light molasses is too mild, and blackstrap is too bitter.

Marilyn's Notes:
I've used this "2 minute and flip" method twice now and it truly does turn out a tender moist pork chop. HOWEVER, the chops REALLY needs to be a minimum of 1" thick (preferably 1.5" thick and bone-in) and the salt that Cooks Illustrated recommended was Diamond Kosher, the least "salty" salt around. My 1.5" bone-in chop weighed one pound, so 2 chops would have served 4 people when sliced before serving.

Also, Grandma's Molasses, the most common one I've seen, is unsulfured.

Last edited:
So far all I have done is to buy the chop. It waits quietly in the freezer. With a little saucing, this one might be giving me a louder shout.

where do you buy your chops? I've been pretty frustrated in recent years. This has happened to me in 3 different states. EVERY time I buy chops at Costco there are bone splinters in the meat. I tried switching to a local supermarket and same thing.

where do you buy your chops? I've been pretty frustrated in recent years. This has happened to me in 3 different states. EVERY time I buy chops at Costco there are bone splinters in the meat. I tried switching to a local supermarket and same thing.
Paul, since this was a CI recipe and since I don't cook meat often, I decided to follow the recipe carefully and bought both attempts at these chops at Whole Foods. The 1.5" was $7.99 / lb and the 1" was $5.99. Both were incredibly juicy and no bone spurs were obvious to me.

Back