Oh, I feel so continental. Made Ottolenghi's Charred Tomatoes with Yogurt for breakfast.

marilynfl

Let's all remember that I grew up in a house where breakfast options included sulfurous runny eggs, burnt oatmeal or soggy cornflakes. Just writing that sentence makes me nauseous, meaning this might be the reason I don't like breakfast, but have come to like breakfast foods. Just not, you know, at breakfast.

Anyway, it's daylight savings time and almost brunch and I had a medley of small cherries to use or lose. I also had a quart of Wallaby organic Aussie Greek yogurt (Plain) for no reason other than the use-by date was nearing and it was on sale from $8 down to $2.50. What a deal...even if I don't like plain yogurt

I ALSO also had Yotam's "Ottolenghi Simple" sitting on the counter and opened it to...wa-la!

Hot Charred Cherry Tomatoes with Cold Yogurt

Alrighty! I can see a mile-high hint when it's pointing directly at me. It's also 28 degrees outside and roasting anything at 425 degrees is going to make me happy. That's frost on them thar fields.

https://recipeswap.org/fun/wp-content/uploads/swap-photos/Nov-3.jpg

*Hot Charred Cherry Tomatoes with Cold Yogurt* from Ottolenghi Simple

Serves 4 as starter or part of mezze plate

Ingredients
350 g (12.5 oz) cherry tomatoes
3 tbsp olive oil
3/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp light brown sugar
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
3 sprigs thyme
3 sprigs fresh oregano
1 lemon - shave half into wide strips, zest the other half
salt and black pepper
250 g (9 oz) fridge-cold extra-thick Greek yoghurt
1 tsp urfa chili flakes, or 1/2 tsp regular chili flakes

Heat the oven to 425 degrees.

Put the tomatoes in a rimmed baking dish that's just large enough to accommodate them all snugly. Add the oil, cumin, sugar, garlic, thyme, oregano sprigs, lemon strips, 1/2 tsp flaked salt and a good grind of pepper. Toss together.

ROAST for 20 minutes, until the tomatoes are beginning to blister and the liquid is bubbling, then turn the oven to BROIL for 5 to 7 minutes, until the tomatoes start to blacken on top.

While the tomatoes are roasting, mix the yoghurt with the grated lemon zest and 1/4 tsp salt, then return to the fridge.

Once the tomatoes are ready, spread out the cold yoghurt on a large plate or shallow, wide bowl and make a rim. Spoon the hot tomatoes on top, as well as the pan juices, lemon peel, garlic and herbs, and finish with the remaining oregano and pepper flakes. Serve at once.

Marilyn's Notes:
Used:
12 oz container of mixed small tomatoes
Maldon flaked sea salt
Demerara sugar because it was sitting on the counter
DIDN'T use the garlic cloves at all, but sprinkled garlic granules.
Baked in 7" glass pie plate
Finished with Aleppo pepper flakes
Added more salt to the yogurt

Seriously, you want to serve this hot/cold as directed. The contrast in your mouth is a happy thing going on.

https://recipeswap.org/fun/wp-content/uploads/swap-photos/tomato-yogurt.jpg

Well, I did not know it was an Ottolenghi recipe, but I have been making charred tomatoes

for years to grind up to a paste or tomato sauce. I use them over cottage cheese or yogurt for breakfast, on a slice of toasted bread slathered with a red pepper relish, on top of fried eggs placed on a crisped corn tortilla and topped with charred tomatoes....all for breakfast! How fun is that!

Is that the view from your kitchen....beautiful. So is your photo of the charred tomatoes..

Back