ORANGE BUTTER CAKE

meryl

ORANGE BUTTER CAKE

A fantastic cake! Very fluffy, moist and orangey. I used a tube pan and left it unfrosted the first time I made it - the second time, I frosted it with an Orange Cream Cheese Frosting - the third time, I made the glaze and added 1 tsp orange zest. (Note: I haven't tried the filling).

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup butter -- room temperature

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

2 eggs

3/4 cup orange juice (I use fresh)

3 tablespoons orange zest

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon orange extract

FILLING:

2/3 cup orange marmalade

3 tablespoons Grand Marnier

GLAZE:

1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar -- sifted

3 tablespoons Grand Marnier (I used fresh orange juice)

1 tablespoon unsalted butter -- melted

1/2 teaspoon orange extract

*(I added 1 tsp orange zest)

DIRECTIONS:

Spread solid shortening (I use butter) on bottom and sides of tube pan or layer pans. Dust evenly with flour and tap out excess flour. Be generous with greasing and flouring indentations if using a decorative Bundt pan. Or, grease and line with parchment paper. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 F (325 F for dark pans).

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. With electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until smooth. *(I cream until light and fluffy). Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Alternately, add dry ingredients and juice, beating after each addition. Begin and end with flour. Scrape down sides of bowl and beater. Stir in grated orange zest and extracts.

Spoon batter into prepared pan(s); level top. Bake in preheated oven 50 to 60 minutes for a tube cake *(I baked about 45 minutes), or 30 to 35 minutes for layers, or until top is golden brown and cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool in pan(s) on wire rack about 10 minutes. Run knife blade around edge of cake. Top with plate or cardboard disk, invert and lift off pan(s). Cool cake(s) completely.

Filling: In a small bowl, blend orange marmalade with liqueur. To fill layers, set one layer on cardboard cake dish or flat plate. Spread evenly with marmalade-liqueur, top with second layer.

Glaze: Beat together all glaze ingredients. Add more juice by the drop to thin, more sifted sugar to thicken. Glaze should drip heavily from spatula. Spoon over tube cake, allowing glaze to run down sides. Or, spread glaze over top of layers.

Edited from my files.

Back