Pillsbury's original Bake-Off Tunnel of Fudge Cake REC

wigs

I made 4 of these on Nov. 11, 2022, and had ORIGINAL success because I found a substitute dry chocolate frosting mix at the King Arthur Baking (the old King Arthur Flour) web site. If there are any of you out there interested, the URL is Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Mix

TUNNEL OF FUDGE CAKE by the late Ella Rita (Mrs. C. J.) Helfrich of Houston, Texas.

1-1/2 cups soft Land O'Lakes butter
6 eggs
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 cups Pillsbury's Best Flour (Regular)
1 package Pillsbury Two-Layer Size Double Dutch Fude Buttercream frosting mix (Since Pillsbury no longer manufactures this, I used 1 package KAB's Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Mix which also frosts 2 layers. Wigs)
2 cups chopping Diamond Walnuts (I used chopped pecans.)

Oven 350 degrees F -- 10-inch tube pan

Cream butter in large mixer bowl at high speed of mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Gradually add sugar; continue creaming at high speed until light and fluffy. By hand, stir in flour, frosting mix and walnuts until well blended. Pour batter into greased 10-inch tube pan or Bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 60 to 65 minutes. Cool 2 hours; remove from pan. Cool completely before serving. NOTE: Nuts and frosting mix are essential to the success of this unusual recipe. Since cake has a soft fudgy interior, test for doneness after 60 minutes by observing dry, shiny brownie-type crust.

So it was successful! It made the "tunnel"?
Yes, charley2! I got the tunnel just as predicted. I read that after Pillsbury quit making their buttercream dry mix, bakers began using 2 of the Jiffy chocolate fudge frosting dry mix boxes as a substitute, and that worked. So, I figured the big box (for a 2-layer cake) of Chocolate Buttercream Frosting mix from King Arthur Baking (the old KAF) ought to produce good results, and it did.

Back