Portuguese Sweet Bread (shared from CathyZ)

marilynfl

I recently asked CathyZ if she had a recipe that mimicked King's Hawaiian Bread. She said that it was basically Portuguese Sweet Bread, then kindly shared her recipe. I'm posting it here so don't lose it. Thanks, Cathy.

Portuguese Sweet Bread

2 pkg active dry yeast
1/4 c warm water
1 c scalded and cooled milk
3/4 c + 1tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
4 eggs, divided
1/2 c butter, softened
6 c flour, divided

Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl. stir in milk, 3/4 c sugar, the salt, 3 eggs, butter and 3 c flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 min. Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled. Punch down and divide in two. Shape each into a round, slightly flat loaf. Place each loaf in a greased 9" cake pan. Cover and let rise until doubled. Heat oven to 350. Beat 1 egg slightly and brush loaves. Sprinkle with 1 tsp sugar. Bake until golden brown, 35-45 min. Cool on a wire rack.

Looks so good!!! YUMMY
I recently asked CathyZ if she had a recipe that mimicked King's Hawaiian Bread. She said that it was basically Portuguese Sweet Bread, then kindly shared her recipe. I'm posting it here so don't lose it. Thanks, Cathy.

Portuguese Sweet Bread

2 pkg active dry yeast
1/4 c warm water
1 c scalded and cooled milk
3/4 c + 1tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
4 eggs, divided
1/2 c butter, softened
6 c flour, divided

Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl. stir in milk, 3/4 c sugar, the salt, 3 eggs, butter and 3 c flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 min. Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled. Punch down and divide in two. Shape each into a round, slightly flat loaf. Place each loaf in a greased 9" cake pan. Cover and let rise until doubled. Heat oven to 350. Beat 1 egg slightly and brush loaves. Sprinkle with 1 tsp sugar. Bake until golden brown, 35-45 min. Cool on a wire rack.

I wonder if you almond flour, almond milk and stevia??? I'm gained 20 with the virus! LOL

Looks so good!!! YUMMY

I wonder if you almond flour, almond milk and stevia??? I'm gained 20 with the virus! LOL
Gayle, almond flour doesn't have gluten, so I doubt that would work...there would be no structure for the bread.

...and honey, we ALL gained 20 pounds with the virus. It's called stress eating.
That's why the official medical name should have been COVID20 instead of COVID19.

Yep here also. Size 6 to a 10, in two easy years. And I can't afford a new wardrobe. (I think it may be the drugs I'm consuming but I'd rather blame an external cause)

Last edited:
Gayle, almond flour doesn't have gluten, so I doubt that would work...there would be no structure for the bread.

...and honey, we ALL gained 20 pounds with the virus. It's called stress eating.
That's why the official medical name should have been COVID20 instead of COVID19.
I know, it's bad!! LOL

Back