Pumpkin-Chocolate Tart

luisa_calif

Source: Sylvia

Pumpkin-Chocolate Tart (Makes 1 Ten-Inch Tart)

1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree

3/4 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar ( I didn't find this quite sweet enough)

8 ounces creme fraiche, (I used Crema Mexicana)

3 large eggs

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

Chocolate Crust (recipes follows) and 2 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate for top ( I used choc mini-chips, suggest adding a tsp of Crisco to make it softer)

Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F. In a medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, brown sugar, creme fraiche, eggs, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt and cloves until smooth. Pass mixture through a fine sieve set over a clean bowl; discard solids. (I didn't do this) Pour filling into prepared crust. Bake until filling is set, about 40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool at least 30 minutes. Set a heatproof bowl, or the top of a double boiler, over a pan of barely simmering water. Melt chocolate in bowl, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Dip a spoon in melted chocolate, then drizzle chocolate over tart, forming decorative stripes.* You can melt in sandwich-sized Ziplock baggie, set in hot water, wipe off water, then cut off corner (start w/ very small snip) and squirt out of corner. Refrigerate until well set, at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.

Chocolate Crust (Makes 1 Ten-Inch Tart Shell) HIGHLY suggest lining pan bottom w/ parchment!!!!

1 cup all purpose flour, plus more for work surface

1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar

1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

1 large egg

4 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped ( I used choc mini-chips)

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, cinnamon and cloves. Add butter; mix on low speed until butter is the size of small peas, about 5 minutes. Add egg; mix until ingredients come together to form a dough. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F. If too soft to roll out, refrigerate for awhile. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough to just thicker than 1/8 inch. Brush off excess flour; transfer dough to a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press dough into bottom and up sides of pan sprayed with Pam; trim excess flush with edge. I didn't roll it out, just pressed in pan. Lightly prick bottom of dough all over with a fork. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes. Bake shell until firm, about 15 minutes. Immediately sprinkle chocolate over bottom of shell; smooth with a spatula.

*Decorating Tip: If using a spoon, for neat, even stripes, let the first drops of chocolate fall back into the bowl before moving the spoon quickly over the tart.

Recipe Source: Southern Living November 2003 Dessert of the month - Pg. 46

If you don't have access to creme fraiche you can easily make it yourself. Many recipes are on the web and it is very easy to make.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back