Pure cane sugar and how semantics took me in

marilynfl

For YEARS, I've been warning friends that buying a bag of "pure sugar" didn't necessarily mean it was the same "pure cane sugar" that they grew up cooking with. It could be beet sugar or date sugar or whatever sugar...so long as it was "pure."

Well, last week I noticed a sale sign at Food Lion for bags of sugar: "4 for $1" if you had their loyalty card. I picked up one of the 1-lb bags and looked at the ingredient list which said "PURE WHITE CANE SUGAR" and thought--wow, I wish I'd seen this before baking 1,600 cookies. I bought four bags, ($1.50 each) but $5 was deducted at the end so, truly, I got 4 lbs of "pure white cane sugar" for $1.

1685975543512.png

Then I got home and read the rest of the packaging. Oh, those sneaky advertising devils. Here's what it says (from sugar.org)

"Of all plant types, sugar beets and sugar cane have the greatest quantities of sugar, which is why they make the most efficient choices from which to extract sugar. The sugar that’s extracted from sugar beet or sugar cane plants is identical to the sugar that’s still found intact when you bite into fruits and vegetables. It is completely pure, and contains no preservatives or additives of any kind. That means the sugar we keep in our pantry, the sugar added to bread to help it rise and the sugar in sweet treats we enjoy in moderation is exactly the same as sugar that’s naturally in peaches, almonds, sweet peas and more."

Based on chemical breakdown, they are calling both harvested beet and sugar products WHITE CANE SUGAR after processing. I always imagined beet sugar coming from the beets they sell at the grocery store and nowhere in my brain was the word CANE associated with it. But I guess I'll have to stop proselytizing and start testing this. Because I'm going back and buying another 4 lbs.

Last edited:
I have to ask--sucrose is sucrose is table sugar. What difference does it make. ;o)

More than you want to know about sugar beets!!

Last edited:
A key difference is how the finished physical product ends up. Years ago they started packaging beet sugar as regular sugar and it had an almost powdery texture, rather than granular cane sugar. That meant when you scooped out a cup of "sugar" for a recipe, you got almost 20% more sweetness than the recipe needed. Also, the granular shape of pure sugar cane worked to aerate beaten egg whites and other foods and the powdery version did not.

I can tell from this package that they are now processing it to a granular state, so it should work for baking. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I recall that you and others have said it makes a difference but in searching currently I could not (easily) find a reference to that. so it makes me wonder if it is still true. The references I saw say the difference IF detectable to a regular person is in the flavor--more earthy for beet sugar and floral for cane.
Needless to say you got a great buy because along with everything else, sugar has gone up in price.

I only buy Dominos Cane Sugar. the only ingredient is cane sugar. I hope I can take it at their word....

Back