Questions about silver skin...

dawnnys

I've heard of silver skin on pork, but does chicken have it too? I was cleaning some boneless chicken breasts the other day and noticed this tough, grisly layer of fat?skin?membrane on most of them. Just wondering if it might have been silver skin, and should I have removed it.

Which leads me to question #2 - how does everyone (or do you) remove the tendon in chicken (not only legs, but breast too!) before cooking it? I know this makes the chicken curl up as it cooks, so I usually try and remove it with a paper towel in one hand and grab onto the tendon with another paper towel with the other). But I usually end up losing a lot of the flesh attached, as well. 'Just sitting here thinking it might be from the little blob of the egg white that I no longer obsessively remove! lol

If I bother to remove it I pull it under a knife blade--pulls

right out. To elaborate, I grab the tendon with one hand, hold the knife on the tendon and then pull it. Comes out clean.

Anyone else have an easy way to remove the tendon? And does chicken have silver skin? Remove it?

Thanks for the above hint, though, Durward.

Back