Quick....anyone around? I have a friend who will be at Trader Joes tomorrow and is asking if I want anything. Do I? Is there something I can't pass

Marg CDN

up? He is offering to bring back some treasure to the land of Canada. I haven't been to a TJ in 25 (or more) years but I do keep hearing about you all 'talking' about products.

Later.................everyone is sleeping.

I won't be able to get him now, so I just saved some money. I think they have mostly 'things' anyway and I would be looking for cooking/baking products/ingredients.

But if you did think about me, thank you.

Sorry I couldn't just delete this post.

Last edited:
okay, so for next time:

TRADER JOE

I tend to buy dairy, since their butter is the cheapest anywhere. Also, they carry creme fraiche.
DO NOT GET their vanilla. I've bought their bean paste (very glutinous) and a skinny bottle of some bourbon-version...both were terrible.
I like speculoos (a flat spice cookies like a Biscoff) and the chocolate coated biscotti.
Since Callebaut priced itself out of my happy zone...not to mention the postal rates going up AGAIN next month...I don't make my Dyslexic sauce as often. When I do, I use their Pound Plus bars (milk, dark and 72%).
Booze is cheap and an impromptu taste test found their $6 Montepulciano D'Abruzzo beat out both $15 & $20 bottles from other sources.
J. Lore chardonnay works. I also like their grapefruit prosecco.
In the spices department, I like the powdered mushroom (Multipurpose Umami flavoring)
In the frozen food department, I like their Brazilian cheese bread (GF) and their frozen almond croissant dough. They have a package with 2 small pastry steak pies that are quite good. I haven't had much success with asian foods.

Last edited:
Thanks Marilyn. I like powdered mushroom as well. So useful. Wish I had thought of that as I haven't seen it around here lately.

okay, so for next time:

TRADER JOE

I tend to buy dairy, since their butter is the cheapest anywhere. Also, they carry creme fraiche.
DO NOT GET their vanilla. I've bought their bean paste (very glutinous) and a skinny bottle of some bourbon-version...both were terrible.
I like speculoos (a flat spice cookies like a Biscoff) and the chocolate coated biscotti.
Since Callebaut priced itself out of my happy zone...not to mention the postal rates going up AGAIN next month...I don't make my Dyslexic sauce as often. When I do, I use their Pound Plus bars (milk, dark and 72%).
Booze is cheap and an impromptu taste test found their $6 Montepulciano D'Abruzzo beat out both $15 & $20 bottles from other sources.
J. Lore chardonnay also works. I also like their grapefruit prosecco.
In the spices department, I like the powdered mushroom (Multipurpose Umami flavoring)
In the frozen food department, I like their Brazilian cheese bread (GF) and their frozen almond croissant dough. They have a package with 2 small pastry steak pies that are quite good. I haven't had much success with asian foods.
Agreed.

Besides staples, my favorite treat there is chocolate covered peanut butter filled pretzels, but not having them is good because you’ll want more. I like their freeze dried berries to add to icings. I just tried their face sunscreen which is supposed to be a dupe for the famous Goop brand. All I can say is it’s the best feeling sunscreen I’ve ever used. Most make my skin feel like it can’t breath and this was wonderful and I think about $7. I very much confirm their vanilla is awful. Many like their everything but the bagel seasoning, but you can obviously make your own. A bagel making friend said it was too salty for bagel making, so I haven’t tried it.

I only buy pork tenderloins at TJ'S as they truly are very tender. And pine nuts (cheapest price I can find).

Thanks, Marilyn - lots of good suggestions! I love their siracha sauce. Not really hot as it is flavorful. I use there lb bars too because they are an affordable option.

Back