RECIPE: REC: Chicken and Green Chile Soup With Tamale Dumplings

RECIPE:

gayle-mo

I may make this soup for NYD since it will just be my family here and we all love a good soup. I posted this on Epi awhile back but don't remember if I posted it here. Sorry, if I did, but it is so good and hope someone tries it! yummers!

My family's been sick, including moi, so I've been gone a week or so. Hope all had great holidays!

Chicken and Green Chile Soup With Tamale Dumplings

Soup:

2 Poblano Chiles, roasted, peeled and chopped

2 teaspoons canola oil

1 onion, chopped

1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced

1 carrot, chopped

6 scallions, finely sliced

3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped

5 cups chicken broth

2 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped,

5 tomatillos, husked, rinsed and diced, optional

1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil

1 cup shredded cooked chicken

salt and freshly ground black pepper

Dumplings:

2 tablespoons canola oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 ground cumin

1/2 cup masa harina

1/2 teaspoon pure ground chile powder

1 large egg

1 large egg white

1/4 cup cooked fresh corn kernels

Heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, bell peppers, carrots, scallions and garlic. Cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, tomatillos and roasted chiles. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and add basil. Simmer 10 minutes.

Dumplings:

In a saucepan, combine oil, salt, cumin and 1/2 cup water and bring to boil.

Sift in masa harina and stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan and no longer clings to spoon, 3 to 4 minutes.

Stir in chile powder and remove from heat. Beat in egg and egg white. Fold in corn.

With wet hands, form the dough into 16 dumplings.

Spoon the dumplings into the gently simmering soup and cook until no longer doughy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add chicken and simmer until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.

This recipe is best if prepared ahead of time and allowed to sit overnight to allow the flavors blend and develop. Serves 8.

Gayle, this sounds fantastic! It is on my to try list after the holidays...

I actually saved it from your test message on Epi. To be honest, I am so sick of food. LOL. The holidays, I swear. Too much, too rich, too much. I am looking forward to making this for our "poker night" in a couple weeks. Thanks for posting this. Happy New Year! Dawn

Hi Dawn! I can totally relate!!

I am getting ready to take 800 hand molded cream cheese wedding mints to the church where a wedding is going to be held tonight and I think I only ate 2 out of the hours I worked on them!! EW....shudder... I took all my leftover candies to a widowed friend this week. (except the caramel - no one will ever let me give that away but I hid a tin in the garage fridge this year that they didn't find!)

I was up until 3:15 am working on mints! We got sick this week and it threw me waay behind.

Hope you enjoy the soup. You da SOUP QUEEN, though! I love all your soup recipes!

Glad to hear from you!

I've made this soup 4 times since Gayle posted at Epi...it's beyond great! Thanks Gayle!!

I've taken it to two relatives that were sick. I have a hard time picking out the chilis, some are very hot, some not. One time I open up a chili to remove the seeds and WOW it almost knocked me over, I could tell it was a scorcher!! I can't wait to make it again, it's really good. I doubled the tamales, we had this for Christmas Eve dinner.

Karen, so glad you enjoy it!

Four times - wow!

We love anything tamale so it suits our family! My daughter's housekeeper made tamales before Christmas and I ended up with some to bring home so I didn't make this over the holidays.

Our weather is starting to turn cold again so I'm getting hungry for it!

Thanks for the update! smileys/smile.gif

I made it again tonight...

I roast all the vegies and triple the recipe. Wondering if it freezes well??? Maybe with no tamales...add when reheated??? I also made it with the hot tamales, and it was the best so far!

I think you could certainly freeze it

but add the dumplings when you bring it to a simmer, just like fresh.

You make me smile! smileys/smile.gif

Back