RECIPE: Rec: Chorizo-Crusted Cod...

RECIPE:

curious1

This is in the January 2006 issue of Food and Wine magazine. I used frozen Atlantic cod filets from Costco, panko crumbs and a chorizo from WF. The chorizo was quite dry and the mixture didn't adhere to the cod when I dipped it, so I just patted it on. Next time, I think I'd brush the cod liberally with oil or melted butter first.

CHORIZO-CRUSTED COD (Peter Ireland)

Total: 30 mins; 4 servings

Ireland deconstructed one of his favorite Portuguese fish stews, traditionally made with salt cod and chorizo, to create these luscious cod fillets coated with chorizo and simply broiled.

ingredients

1 1/2 ounces Spanish chorizo, peeled and thinly sliced

1/2 cup coarse dry bread crumbs

Salt and freshly ground pepper

Extra-virgin olive oil

Four 6-ounce skinless cod or halibut fillets, about 1 1/2 inches thick

Preheat the oven to 400°. In a mini food processor, finely chop the chorizo. Add the bread crumbs and pulse until combined. Season with salt and pepper and transfer the chorizo crumbs to a plate. Lightly oil a medium glass or ceramic baking dish. Dip one side of each fillet into the chorizo crumbs, pressing to help them adhere; arrange in the baking dish, crumb side up. Pack the remaining crumbs on top.

Roast the fish for 12 minutes, or until it is white throughout and flakes with a fork. Preheat the broiler and broil the cod fillets 6 inches from the heat for 20 to 30 seconds, or until the chorizo crust is lightly browned and crisp. Serve right away.

Back