RECIPE: REC: Cobb Salad

RECIPE:

debbie_in_ga

I have 571 recipes in my MasterCook cookbook from "The Best of Gail's Recipe Swap." (I'd have more, but my pc crashed in November and I lost everything I had saved since May '04.)

I once started going through the archives at the beginning and pulling recipes that sounded good. Here's one of the first recipes posted at Gail's (posted by Gail Horwood).

Debbie in GA

================================

Cobb Salad

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

1/2 head romaine lettuce1/2 head iceberg lettuce

1/2 head chicory (use only the tender inside leaves)

1 bunch watercress

3 tomatoes

2 hard-boiled eggs

2 cooked chicken breasts

1 avocado

6 strips crisp bacon -- crumbled

6 ounces blue cheese -- crumbled

Boston lettuce

French Vinaigrette for Cobb

After you have washed and dried your greens, set aside the Boston lettuce and chop the rest finely (fine chopping is the secret to an authentic Cobb Salad). Combine chopped greens.

Cut chicken into bite-size pieces, dice eggs and add both chicken and eggs to greens. Peel, seed and chop the tomatoes and add them to mixture. Chop and add avocado. Toss. Add cheese, tossing salad again.

Dress salad with vinaigrette to taste. Toss once more and top with bacon. Serve on bed of Boston lettuce.

Serves 4 as a meal, 6 to 8 as a side salad.

Source:

"ghorwood"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Cobb Salad is something I grew up on. Robert Kreis, the executive chef of L.A.'s fabled Brown Derby restaurant, developed Cobb Salad in honor of Bob Cobb, the owner of the Derby. My grandparents, who ate frequently at the restaurant, got the recipe from Kreis in the late 1940s; my grandmother passed it on to me. --Gail

Back