RECIPE: REC: Coconut Beef Curry in Crockpot

RECIPE:

anna_x

I failed to note where I got this recipe, but it surely is nice to come home to something hot and tasty these nights.

Coconut Beef Curry

Brown 2 lbs. stewing beef (1/4" strips) with 1 Tb. oil in a pan.

Add and cook just until fragrant:

2 onions, sliced

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 Tbs. paprika

2 Tbs. cumin

1 tsp. cinnamon

2 Tbs. red curry paste

Put in a crockpot with:

4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped

1 lb. bag of small baby carrots

Add:

2 Tbs. tomato paste

1 14 oz. can of coconut milk

1/2 c. water

1 tsp. salt

(May add salt and pepper to taste near the end of cooking)

Stir it all. Cover and cook on LOW 8 - 10 hours or HIGH 4 - 6 hours until the veggies are tender and the stew is bubbling.

Sprinkle with cilantro.

I find it ready at 7 hrs on LOW, if the beef was browned first. Enjoy!

Hi Anna, I wonder how this would work with chicken...

I don't really eat too much beef these days, don't know why, yours looks good though.

I also like thick stews made in a crockpot, chicken in gravy that goes over biscuits to make chicken and biscuits, smothered pork chops, macaroni-anything, and peanut chicken made in a crockpot.

I made a chicken (are you sensing a theme here?!) enchilda casserole in a crockpot once and topped it with cornbread. Came out very moist - I was a little nervous how a batter would bake in a crockpot, but it did!

Got any other good ones? I use mine a lot in the winter time. Comfort food and all, you know, although handy in the summertime too, when you don't want to heat up the kitchen.

I borrowed a cookbook from the library "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook" by

Beth Hensperger...you might want to try it, too! I have not actually tried any recipes yet, but I do plan to this week.

I think chicken would be just fine.

I simply haven't tried it that way. But I should use more chicken. My doctor told me to cut down on red meat.

You know the many varieties of cooking pork with cranberry sauce? That's one of my favs. I'll look it up and post it here soon.

When you get the chance, would you please post your enchilada recipe with the cornbread topping? I think my guys would love it! It sounds so yummy.

And thanks for writing. I just felt beat-up on the old forum for wanting comments on recipes.
--Anna_X

REC: Chicken Enchilda Casserole in the Crockpot

Basically, I make a casserole and instead of baking it, I put it in a slow cooker.

2 cups leftover chicken, cubed
1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
16 oz tomato sauce (or salsa)
1/2 cup water
1 tsp chili powder
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
favorite recipe for cornbread (I use a mix and add a Tbsp of honey and/or pepper relish to it)

Combine all ingredients except for cheese and cornbread, and place in a well-greased slow cooker.

For the top layer, sprinkle the cheese, and finish by pouring 1 cup of cornbread batter over all. Use the rest to make muffins, as adding more will cause the bread to "take over" the recipe and you will have 90% cornbread!

Set on high for an hour and then reduce to low for another 6 hours.

Serve with sour cream, salsa, more shredded cheese.

Back