RECIPE: Rec: Corned Beef Brisket with Bourbon & Molasses Glaze

RECIPE:

mariadnoca

I’ve always wanted to like corned beef, because as an Irish American family it was a St Patrick’s day staple. It just seemed like I *should* like it, but I just don’t. This recipe makes it sound like it could be good, but with only me it’s not likely I’ll give it a go, so maybe someone else wants to try. Now, if I could just like soda bread…

Maria the failed Irish girl (I’m only named Maria because there were already too many Mary’s in the family.)

http://www.gobourbon.com/corned-beef-brisket-bourbon-molasses-glaze/http://www.gobourbon.com/corned-beef-brisket-bourbon-molasses-glaze/

Corned Beef Brisket with Bourbon & Molasses Glaze

What’s a St. Paddy’s Day celebration without corned beef brisket? This recipe is one of my favorites, the sticky bourbon-molasses glaze gives the meat an irresistible touch of sweetness that balances out the brine. Once the beef is in the oven, bring remaining beef poaching liquid to boil, and simmer veggies like cabbage, potatoes, and carrots, for an easy side dish.

Ingredients

Corned Beef
1 corned brisket of beef, about four pounds
2 bay leaves
8 peppercorns
2 allspice berries
1 small cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon mustard seed
Beef (or chicken) stock to cover

Glaze
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup bourbon

Instructions
Servings: 4 to 6
Total Time: about 4 hours 30 minutes

Wash the brisket of the brine with cold water.

Place in large kettle with the spices and cover with the stock.

Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for an hour per pound or until fork tender in the middle. (If the corned beef brisket is not homemade and is pre cooked this step may only take one hour.)

To make the glaze, mix molasses, sugar, bourbon and mustard in a bowl and let rest for 45 minutes.

Pre heat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the brisket on a rack in a large roasting pan with 2 cups of the cooking liquid. Cover with enough glaze to coat.

Roast the beef, basting the beef with the glaze for 20 to 25 minutes.

Serve on a large platter with an assortment of vegetables.

Maria, you know my past record of consistently producing lousy meat, but this recipe from charlie made a great meal. What I really liked was the stacking method with the vegetables so they all ended up tender, but not mushy. I do remember messing up the water step, but it still worked to a delicious result. I'm going to find his Irish Soda Bread next...it was wonderful because it's not the martyr version...it has lots of sugar and lots of butter...my happy spot.

charlie : This rather unconventional REC: for Corned Beef & Cabbage posted by () is really delicious…

Posted: Mar 9, 2001 9:43 AM

The only change I’d make is—I never use “Lean” corned beef. First Cut is never as juicy and flavorful as whole untrimmed corned beef. When it is tender,trim off the excess fat and continue with the recipe.

CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE

6 pounds lean corned beef brisket — (6 to 7)

2 pounds onions

3 pounds carrots

1 cup malt vinegar

1 cup Guinness Stout

1 tablespoon coriander seed

1 tablespoon black peppercorns

1 tablespoon mustard seed

1/2 tablespoon dill seed

1/2 tablespoon whole allspice

3 bay leaves

4 pounds cabbage — rinsed

3 pounds small red potatoes

1/4 cup mixed fruit jelly

3/4 cup light brown sugar

1/4 cup coarse grain mustard

2 tablespoons fresh ground horseradish

You will need a 14 to 20 quart stock pot with a tight fitting cover. Coarsely chop enough carrots and onions to make 1 cup each and add to the bottom of the pan. Place the corned beef in the pot with with any liquid from the package, the vinegar, Stout and all of the spices. Add enough water to barely cover the beef and bring to a rolling boil. Cover pot, reduce heat and simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender when pierced with a fork. Cut the remaining onions into wedges. Cut the remaining carrots into 3 inch lengths;halve them lengthwise if large. Cut cabbages in half through the core and then into wedges. Scrub potatoes. Add the onions, carrots and potatoes to the pot with the tender corned beef, arrange cabbage wedges on top, cover and continue to simmer until vegetables and cabbage are tender when pierced, 20 to 30 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, jelly, mustard and horseradish and mix well. With a slotted spoon remove vegetables to warm serving dishes, cover and keep warm. Using tongs and a slotted spoon, remove beef to a shallow baking pan and cover with brown sugar mixture. Place in a pre-heated 375 degree oven to glaze, about 15 minutes. Remove glazed meat to a cutting board, slice across the grain and place on warm serving platters.

Source: “Gail’s” S(Forum Member): “()” Start to Finish Time: “4:30” T(Cooking Time): “3:45” Serving Ideas : Serve meat and vegetables with coarse-grain mustard, fresh horseradish and warm Irish Soda bread.

One thing I always do when making corned beef is to soak it to get some of the cure out of it. Helps me to enjoy it.

Back