RECIPE: REC: Cranberry Oat Delights--(Whole Wheat Oatmeal Cookies)

RECIPE:

barbara-in-va

Made these this weekend, they are from my latest King Arthur catalog. They are AMAZING! I just love them. I used 1 C dried apples and 1 C sweetened cranberries. Right out of the oven they were a bit crispy and the next day they were soft and chewy. I can't wait for this weekend to make another batch!

One note of concern, at least for me, is the untraditional way of mixing the batter. I was concerned about adding the spices to the butter mixture, feeling that I would not get them evenly distributed. So I mixed them in with the flour and oats. This was okay but then, as the instructions indicate, I mixed the fruit into the flour and added that to the butter mixture. This made it extremely difficult to get everything mixed together well. Next time I will follow more traditional steps of mixing the batter.

Cranberry-Oat Delights

INTRO

These 100% whole-grain, golden-brown cookies definitely give fiber a good name!

INGREDIENTS

3/4 cup (12 tablespoons, 1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter

1 1/2 cups brown sugar

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ginger

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon vanilla

1 large egg

1 1/3 cups (4 5/8 ounces) old-fashioned rolled oats

1 1/4 cups King Arthur Traditional Whole Wheat Flour

2 cups dried fruit: cranberries, diced apples, chopped dates, raisins, chopped apricots, or the dried fruits of your choice

1 cup (3 3/4 ounces) diced pecans or walnuts

INSTRUCTIONS

Cream together the butter, sugar, spices, leaveners, salt, and vanilla. Beat in the egg. Add the oats, flour, fruit, and nuts, and stir to combine.

Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake the cookies in a preheated 350°F oven for 7 minutes; reverse the pans on the racks, and bake for an additional 7 to 8 minutes, until cookies are beginning to brown around the edges, but are still soft in the center. Remove from the oven, and cool on a rack. Yield: about 4 dozen cookies.

Enjoy!

Back