RECIPE: REC: Eggplant and Roasted Red Pepper Crostini

RECIPE:

ruthab

This is delicious! Sorry, I can't find where I got this from to give credit, where due :eek:(

Eggplant and Roasted Red Pepper Crostini

For The Crostini:

1 loaf French bread, sliced 1" thick

extra-virgin olive oil

1 lg clove garlic, halved lengthwise

For The Eggplant and Roasted Red Pepper Topping:

1 med eggplant, unpeeled, cut into ½” slices

1 red bell pepper, quartered, cored & seeded

1 sm bulb garlic, unpeeled

4 tsp balsamic vinegar

3 T fresh oregano, chopped

kosher salt

black pepper, freshly ground

2 T olive oil + more for brushing on eggplant & drizzling garlic

Place a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Brush both sides of the bread slices with olive oil and place a few at time in the hot skillet. Toast for 2 minutes, turning often, until browned and firm. Rub the cut side of the garlic on the bread toasts to infuse a subtle flavor.

Preheat the oven to 450°F. Cut the tips off the garlic cloves, leaving the bulb whole. Place bulb on top a piece of aluminum foil and drizzle a little olive oil over the cloves. Seal bulb in the foil and place in the hot oven.

Meanwhile, brush the eggplant and pepper with a little olive oil and place them on a sheet tray lined with aluminum foil. After the garlic has been roasting for 10 minutes, slide the sheet into the middle of the oven and roast the vegetables, turning occasionally, for about 40 minutes. The pepper should be charred and the eggplant completely soft. (I charred the red pepper separately - out of the oven.)

Allow the vegetables to cool; then peel the skin off the pepper. Put the roasted pepper in a food processor. Coarsely chop the eggplant, and add it to the processor. Squeeze the garlic out of the skins into the processor. Add the vinegar, oregano and 2 tablespoons of olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Pulse until combined but still somewhat chunky. Spoon a tablespoon of the mixture on the garlic crostini.

Makes 4 servings.

Oh yum!!! do you think we can replace rinsed jarred red pepper>>

for the fresh, due to the fact that time is an issue or would they be too limp?
Gonna make this tomorrow night for our 'food event'
So far we have your crostini, and Andrea's spinach mushroom pasta.
Off to a good start!
Thanks Ruth!

marg

The jarred peppers would be just fine, Marg. Mine turned out limp too after roasting them...

I think that's the way they are supposed to be.

Hope you enjoy your trip to NY!

Thanks Ruth! >>>

We will sure give them a try.
The recipe sounds wonderful.
Our food events have shrunken over the last few years as our kids have gone on to their own pursuits. However tomorrow will be nice. Our daughters who have been best friends since they were 8 will be there ( they are now 25) and it will just be us girls. It's a far cry from when one of these would turn into dinner for 12, but we will have a great time. It's really all about the people you are with, and the love of the food.

Back