RECIPE: REC: Ina Garten's CARAMALIZED SHALLOTS..a "must-do"!!!

RECIPE:

kpinky

She had a wonderful show on French made easy and I want to do the lemon chicken too, which these were served with. But these caramelized shallots looked so unbelievable that I did them with my pork tenderloin with Madeira sauce. These shallots, served on the side, would go with so many meat dishes/poultry dishes.

CARAMELIZED SHALLOTS:

6 Tbls. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter

2 pounds fresh shallots, peeled with roots intact

(they should all be of comparable size)

3 Tbls sugar

3 Tbls good red wine vinegar (I used balsamic and

I think Ina did too) You may need a bit more.

1/2 tsp. kosher salt

1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

2 Tbls chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a 12-inch ovenproof saute pan, add the shallots and sugar, and toss to coat. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the shallots start to brown. (I found I had to use a tongs to turn them so each was browning on at least two sides.)

Add the vinegar, salt and pepper and toss to coat.

Place the saute pan in the oven and roast for 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the size of the shallots, until they are tender. (I found 15 minutes was plenty but I also did them on the stove-top a bit longer too.) Season to taste (I found them fine the way they were), sprinkle with parsley and serve hot on the side.

Episode#IG1C19

Speaking of shallots...

Recently I was in Penzey's, and the clerk recommended their dried shallots. She said they reconstitute beautifully - taste like fresh shallots. She stores them in the refrigerator, and they keep indefinitely. After all that enthusiasm I had to buy a jar. They smell wonderful. I dropped them unreconstituted in the salad dressing for Pat's cranberry walnut salad, and they were great. What a handy timesaver to have in the refrig.

Cranberry Walnut Salad

1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp. minced shallot
1 tsp. minced garlic (or a little less)
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 cup olive oil (original recipe called for 1 cup which I thought was too much)
1/2 cup lightly toasted chopped walnuts (or pecans)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
salad greens to serve 8 (about 1 bag mesclun mix OR can use hearts of romaine lettuce)

Gently swish salad greens in cold water put through a salad spinner and into a salad bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and put into refrigerator. Put first seven ingredients into a small bowl and stir. Just before serving, add olive oil to above ingredients and emulsify (I used a wire whisk to incorporate oil well). Toss salad greens with cranberries, nuts, and dressing and serve. (Toss greens with a small amount of dressing, adding more as needed, being careful not to add too much.) Can also put dressing in a zip lock bag, open a corner and let the dressing pour out slowly as someone else mixes the greens. Any leftover dressing goes into the refrigerator and if none is left, the ziplock bag is simply tossed out.......nothing to wash.

Source: Karen/NoCal from Dacor Appliance demonstration

Pat’s notes: I also really like to add crumbled blue cheese or gorgonzola cheese and fresh avocado chopped.

Back