RECIPE: REC: Instant Pot (and thermos) yogurt

RECIPE:

colleenmomof2

I was finally able to score the yogurts I wanted to try so I spent Saturday working on this. I made 2 batches of 1 quart each. We have 2% milk so for each quart, I used 3 cups of 2% and 1 cup of half and half. I chose the 2 yogurts I used as starters based on the number and variety of bacteria strains they both contained.

I started by sterilizing Instant Pot insert, measuring cups for milk and glass thermos.

I chose to incubate during the day so I could keep an eye on everything. For the next batch, I will prep after dinner and leave overnight. I also plan to increase the incubation to 10 hours from the 8 I used - just to see. I understand a longer period will be more sour.

Heated the total 2 quarts in the Instant Pot using the YOGURT HIGH settings, screen shows BOIL, and let the milk sit in the 175-185 range for 20 minutes. While waiting, I filled the thermos with warm (115 degree) water and covered. Also warmed water to boil on stove to sterilize measuring cups and extra tall spoons, discarding the once boiling water into a roaster pan that I put into cold oven.

After heating at around 180 for the 20 minutes, I removed the Instant Pot to a trivet on the counter and cooled the milk to 115 (or so) degrees, stirring every-so-often. Just above 115, I poured out the thermos water and added a quart of the warm milk to the thermos. Stirred about 1/2 cup of cooled milk from the thermos into 1 tablespoon of Chobani Fat-Free Greek Plain in a measuring cup, mixing well to combine, then poured back into the thermos and stirred. Temperature of the mixture was at 111, right before I sealed thermos wrapped it in a bath towel, and stuck in the oven with the light turned on.

To the remaining quart of milk still in the Instant Pot liner, I removed about 1/2 cup and mixed with 1 tablespoon of Walmart Whole Milk Greek Plain yogurt in a measuring cup, mixing well to combine, then poured back into the Instant Pot and stirred. I put the liner back into the Instant Pot, covered and locked the lid (no pressure involved), and selected YOGURT NORMAL. 8 HOURS was displayed. I basically walked away at this point but did open the Instant Pot at about 2 hours to check the temperature just to be sure it was working correctly - it was.

Both the Instant Pot and the thermos are not to be disturbed during the incubation period - no shaking, stirring, etc.

At 8 hours, I removed the thermos from the oven and opened it. Also removed liner from Instant Pot, letting both cool on the counter for an hour. Then covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated overnight.

I did strain both to get more of the "Greek" consistency but both tasted great, pretty much the same. Lots of whey to use smileys/wink.gif

For each 1 quart of "whole" milk, I got about 1 1/2 cups of yogurt

Second yogurt batches

I made 2 more batches of yogurt using the Instant Pot and thermos to incubate - one with new Chobani fat free plain Greek yogurt as the starter and the second using yogurt from the original batch as the starter. Both turned out yummy! Colleen

Back