RECIPE: REC: Jalapeno Relish

RECIPE:

gayle-mo

A friend sent this recipe to me and said she and her mom eat it on nearly everything! She said her mom watches for jalapenos to go on sale at Walmart for .50 lb to make it when they run out of the summer crop. It does sound good!

I've already asked my dh to get my jars out of storage. I'm in the mood to make pickled beets, too, so hope to do a batch of both before long.

Jalapeno Relish

6 cups chopped jalapeno peppers

3 large cucumbers

2 large onions

1/3 cup salt

cold water

5 1/4 cups sugar

3 cups cider vinegar

4 teaspoons pickling spice

Finely chop peppers, cucumbers and onions. Add salt and place in a glass container. Cover with ice water and add 1 tray of ice cubes. Cover and chill 2 hours. Drain thoroughly, pressing down on vegetables to remove excess liquid, set aside. In a large pan combine sugar and vinegar. Tie pickling spices in cheesecloth and add to the pan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Add vegetables. Return to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove spice bag. Pack into hot sterilized jars. Water bath for 10 minutes.

Gayle, could you substitute anything for the pickling spice if you don't...

have it on hand? Basically salt, cloves, mustard seed, garlic?

Looks great, by the way. 'May try it with mostly sweet peppers instead and just a little heat.

Here is one I use for pickle relish that would work. REC: Pickle Relish

I rarely use actual pickling spices. I like the combination of celery seed and mustard seed together. This is an excellent recipe from Kerr's Canning Booklet. I have subtracted part of the cucumbers and subbed chopped fresh jalapenos or habeneros (you need to keep the ratio of veggies to syrup the same, for safety purposes) to this recipe to make a spicy pickle relish. Then try adding some prepared yellow mustard for a delish hot dog-type relish.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pickle Relish

Recipe By : Kerr's Blue Book of Canning
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dawn's Recipe

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

4 cups chopped cucumbers
2 cups chopped onions
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup plain salt
4 cups sugar
2 cups cider vinegar
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 tablespoon mustard seed

Combine the cukes, onions, and peppers in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and cover with cold water. Place a layer of ice cubes on top to cover surface of relish. Let stand 2 hours up to 12 hours. Drain thoroughly, pressing out excess liquid. Place drained veggies, sugar, vinegar and spices in a large stainless steel kettle. Bring to a boil over high heat watching so as not to scorch. Simmer for 10 minutes. Pack hot into 1/2 pint jars. Process in a water-bath for 10 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Back